"Flood Valve"?

Ok, this is a new one to me. This is in the floor of a basement near the sewer clean-out. Buyer was told this was a “Flood valve” on the sewer main. he understood that to mean “open this in case of a flood”, which made no sense to me.

Is it more likely a back flow prevention valve?

That is a manual type floor control valve. the valve needs to be closed by the homeowner during a water event that may cause flooding in the basement. The property does not have an overhead sewer system this type of valve is common in the Chicago area.


Thanks Robert, they are not so common around here.

Yep…homeowner does not want city’s leftovers coming into their basement.