Floor Squeaks

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Why do floors squeak?

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jremas

If the subfloor such as 3/4" t&g plywood is nailed & not glued too, the floor will eventually squeek. Usually, flooring gets a little loose and lift up just a little above the joist and when you walk on it, the flexing or rubbing of the subfloor and or the joist is what is heard. Basically, it is loose or the framing has weakened. Tons of older homes do this due to the older construction techniques and aging process. Newer, properly constructed homes should not squeek unless there is some delamination with the plywood.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Silent Floor Systems requires glued and screwed sub-flooring. I have also seen builders use double 1/2" plywood instead of 3/4" sturdifloor. Sometimes the two layers can cause the squeal. Some older homes use actual planking for flooring. Lots of squeaks there. It depends on the age of the home. Many homes built in the 50s used the planking techniques

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Just another thought on the squeaking floors.

Sometimes the "squeaking" you are hearing from walking on floors comes from the nails rubbing up and down on the plywood as you walk accross it.

Next time you look up at the joists and subfloor, look for silicone caulk. It is a sure fire way to know if someone has had the "squeaky floor syndrome" fixed.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Generally, floor squeaks are a sign of excessive “flex” in the floor framing due to marginal sizing or design of joist with respect to their spans and/or loading. (Resulting in all the previously mentioned components working against each other!)

During my field framing days I would generally calculate the joist size from the span charts and then go to the next size larger in order to alleviate some of these problems. It cost more initially but saved on callbacks.

I had a recent inspection involving a floor squeak where a floor joist had been cut and headed off to adjacent joists, neither of which were doubled. This not only contributed to the squeaking but also created sagging due to the weight of the water heater and a tub directly above the cut joist.

Other clues were the tape separation at the ceiling above the tub and the water heater had settled out from under the flue collar approx. 1/2".

Look for double joists under walls that run parallel to the joist and for additional support for concentrated loads from above that need to be transferred to proper foundation bearing.

Variations in lumber grades and quality may also play into trying to analyze the "flex" problems but are often hard to document unless there are still clear grade stamps visible.

Just a few rambling comments for my first post!?

Russ

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

A few rambling comments with good information.

Thanks and welcome.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com