Florida DBPR home inspectors

Let me say this. Back in 1993 Florida changed the law enforcement standards. They required a state test besides the test you took at the academylevel. Officers that were already certified were grandfathered in.
When the test was written very few passed it. Out of state officer’s who moved here and took test 80% failed. The test was flawed and has been rewritten numerous times. I can see it coming. It seems this state is the state of confusion. Mark my words your not going to be a happy camper with this.
Another thing, who’s going to have the money to pay for this schooling in this economy? I’m sure there is not going to be a school in your back yard. So now it’s lodging, food, fee’s, fee,s, fee’s, lose of business, on and on and on.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

Last year was our best year (since 1999) and we are 18 percent ahead of that this year. We are planning a new office in north Florida too. We never stop, if we don’t have a job we look for more work. I go home about 6pm, the young guys leave after me. It is a bad economy but 90% of people are still working, I don’t think it’s luck that we are busy. Never stop should be our company motto I guess.

Had a call this morning from a woman in Detroit, while driving, for a job in Palm Coast, sent her to the NACHI website. Don’t know where Palm Coast is-

Here is a copy of the full HI statute 468.83.
It looks like the Grandfather clause was left intentionally vague so DBPR can decide if the courses and exam you have already taken are acceptable.

The 120 hours may not need to be one HI course taken all at once (ITA, etc.) It could end up being NACHI courses totaling 120, with a final exam.
Possibly a proctored exam or maybe NACHI exam already taken.

I also included a copy of Mold Statute. Under Exams, you can qualify with HS diploma and 4 years field experience. Since this is not in the HI statute it looking like if your in business, belong to NACHI, and have taken lots of NACHI courses at most you will be looking at taking an additional exam, possibly proctored.
Most Proctored Exams approved by the state include Trade knowledge and General Business Management (workers comp law, payroll withholding,etc)

Keep doing what your doing with NACHI and let the rest take care of itself is my advice !!!

I guess it is time to join when I start feeling guilty about all the great info I am getting for free from NACHI

ed

Damn, I dont think I can attach documents as non member, will send as soon as I figure out how. You can go to myflorida, legislature, find where you can search for statutes and enter 468.83 for HI and 468.84 for Mold

Most of us are one man operations and being that do not need worker’s comp. or know anything about it.
Also, being a one man operation you do not have the same procedures with payroll because you have no employees.
The state will definetly screw something up, they always do.

"Everyone should start on an even playing field." How can you make such a statement. You really think that a person who has, lets say, ten years inspecting and over 2000 inspections completed, should be on the same level as someone who has never compelted a class but takes 120 hours of class and passes a test. Give me a break.

Roaming the net I ran accross this:

Certified Mold Inspector?
http://www.iaqcouncil.org/about/noca1100.htm

[FONT=Calibri]Texas has law similar to the new Florida law, wonder if the fees will be also similar … food for thought. FL DOH is finally raising the radon fees after ten years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri]License, Registration or Accreditation Type
and Notifications http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mold/txonline.shtm
Base Fee
Subscription Fee
Total Payment Fee
[/FONT]
Mold Assessment Consultant (1-year)
$300.00
$5.00
$305.00
Mold Assessment Consultant (2-year)
$600.00
$10.00
$610.00
Mold Assessment Company (2-year)
$1,000.00
$30.00
$1,030.00

add insurance for pre and post mold inspections (3 inspectors) and we are looking at about $21,000 for license and insurance for 2 year period.

let the fun begin

Here is the “insightful” and “helpful” message I got:

Thank you for contacting the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.

As of today, the department has not been given any information at all about Home Inspector licensure. Please continue to review the website for any new information about Home Inspection licensure.

I trust this information will be helpful to you. If you need further assistance, call the DBPR Customer Contact Center at (850) 487-1395 or contact us through email at call.center@dbpr.state.fl.us

This response prepared by C Bernhardt

Florida HI Statue
Here is the actual Statute 468.83 for Home Inspections and 468.84 for Mold.
The last paragraph on each has a Grandfather clause, probably left intentionally vague so the Administrative Board (which they dont have money to hire yet) can fill in the blanks.
Also DBPR seems to use Pearson-Vue for all its testing. And they are the company that gives and proctors the NHIE exam. So my guess is this will be the test.
Also a guess, current inspectors with x amount of experience and training will qualify to take exam without a specific 120 hrs course but most likely all inspectors will have to apply for and take the exam at some point. Newbies will fall under the state required courses prior to taking exam. ALL JUST MY GUESS !!

sorry my word doc. will not upload I will try try again later
ed

In essence that is the curse of licensing, regardless of the final outcome the profession is established and equalized somewhere just above entry level, there is really no getting around it.