Florida DBPR Renews Approval of InterNACHI's Free Wood-Destroying Organism Course

Florida DBPR renews approval of InterNACHI’s free, online “Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection” course (online & free for members) for 12 credit hours.

View approval at http://www.nachi.org/florida-dbpr-wood-destroying-organism-inspection.htm

Florida regulates persons who apply pesticides to structures in Florida, as regulated by the Florida Structural Pest Control Law (Chapter 482).

Marline Czerniak from the Florida Department of Agriculture states in a letter to InterNACHI in 2013, *“A home inspector upon observing some apparent WDO damage during the home inspection can state that he observes damage to wood, structure, or whatever he notes, but cannot state that it is due to a WDO organism. As long as they are NOT diagnosing the condition and stating that it’s due to termites or some other pest, they are OK.” *

Home inspectors, who perform home inspections according to the Standards of Practice, do not spray pesticides and do not identify specific insects or pests.

Planet InterNACHI… resistance is futile.

Now just figure out how to make the course let us fill out the termite certificate :slight_smile:

Come a LONG way from when I used to teach the WDO annual re-cert course.
Everyone used to have to show up in person.
I stopped doing it when the state told me I had to sit in another class & could not give myself a re-cert certificate.

Hey Ben, off topic.
Did you by chance ever hear back from DBPR if a licensed inspector could have an assistant on the job if he was not licensed himself?

That will not happen. DACS administers the PCO license, you need an entomology degree or experience working under a CPO and pass a test.

I know, I was just throwing out a great goal that would make out lives easier but likely will never happen :slight_smile: And those guys can even work on a job they inspect. Those guys had their stuff together when those rules were made.

Florida regulates persons who apply pesticides to structures in Florida, as regulated by the Florida Structural Pest Control Law (Chapter 482). Visit the Florida website.

Marline Czerniak from the Florida Department of Agriculture states in a letter to InterNACHI in 2013, *“A home inspector upon observing some apparent WDO damage during the home inspection can state that he observes damage to wood, structure, or whatever he notes, but cannot state that it is due to a WDO organism. As long as they are NOT diagnosing the condition and stating that it’s due to termites or some other pest, they are OK.” *

Home inspectors, who perform home inspections according to the Standards of Practice, do not spray pesticides and do not identify specific insects or pests.

http://www.nachi.org/images2012/FL-Dept-Agriculture-Home-Inspection-Wood-Destroying-Organism-Inspections.jpg
Read the letter from the Florida Department of Agriculture.

Consider using the following resources as a home inspector: www.nachi.org/wdo-report.

Thanks. I’ll save that email.

You can, as long as you are on site with them and you write the report. If you send them out by themselves you are breaking the law and doing unlicensed activity

And logically, you need a license or ID card under supervision of a licensee to use/fill out the State WDO Report FS 482.226
This was put into law around 1983.
Before then, you still had to be licensed, but there was no uniform form. Everyone could create their own report or form.
It was CRAZY!

Thank you.
When I called DBPR they told me a license was necessary to even open/test a window.
Nick called & got the opposite answer.
Ben asked & he thinks it got bumped up to the legal dept.
No “official” response yet I know of.
Would love to have a response in writing.

I got 2 different answers too. Would like to know the “real/legal” answer

-Carl

I am not sure why there would be a problem with having an unlicensed apprentice assisting with the home inspection, IF the licensee is present onsite and is responsible for all activities involved. Just about every other license allows it.

The state used to require a training inspector to work in the field. There is nothing wrong with “having a helper.” The must be supervised, by a license holder.

I hear ya John & Brad.
Off topic a little, but I’m paranoid about it.

If you ever get a complaint on your license, the matter opens up a can of worms & takes about 6 months for final disposition.
I had one a year ago & wonder if I had an assistant if it would have come out as it did, or the state would have had an issue with it.

This woman had a mold issue after she removed a wall & went nuts.
I pointed out to her I called the stucco cracks & possible hidden damage may exist.
That didn’t stop her from messing with my license, no attorney. I think she just wanted to cause me grief & SHE DID.

Again, Ben G. called the state & I have not heard anything.
We all would like to know one way or the other for sure.
INachi help! Find out!