FLORIDA HOME INsPECTOR LICENSE

I recieved this from DBPR today,

[FONT=Arial]To: All Interested Parties,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Home Inspectors’/Mold Related Services Licensing Programs has received your comments/suggestions from the May 5, 2010 rules workshop. We greatly appreciate your assistance as we develop the guidelines and policies for licensing and regulation of these new professions. [/FONT][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]On May 26, 2010, the Governor signed House Bill 713 into law making revisions that will affect the definition of the term “home inspection”, exam requirements, criminal history checks, fees, unlicensed activity, [/FONT][FONT=Arial]and [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Grandfathering in addition to other changes. The licensing staff has [/FONT][FONT=Arial]analyzed[/FONT][FONT=Arial] hundreds of emails in response to the workshop and incorporated relevant changes to the rules. We are now ready to move forward with the approval process. After the department has finalized its approval, the language will be made public as part of the rulemaking process. [/FONT][FONT=Arial] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The department staff continues to be impressed with the amount of concern for the public and offers of assistance in dealing with these new areas of licensure. Your participation has greatly helped shape the rules for the professions and will assist in protecting the health, safety and welfare of the public. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Again, thank you very much for your participation and support.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Rick Morrison, Executive Director
[/FONT][FONT=Arial]Department of Business and Professional Regulation
[/FONT][FONT=Arial]1940 N. Monroe Street
[/FONT][FONT=Arial]Tallahassee[/FONT][FONT=Arial], Florida 32399
[/FONT][FONT=Arial]850.922.0336 (office)
[/FONT][FONT=Arial]850.922.2918 (fax)[/FONT]

No - its either or.
And no - 4 points and wind mits will not count. Your inspections must cover all eight properties of a home as the DBPR has identified.
Zoe

What will be really nice is that education will have to be home inspection specific - That’s why GC’s may very well have to have the same education we do. Courses that just teach you " how to use” a reference manual or that are specific to a product will not qualify according to the DBPR.
I know I’m not the only one who has paid hundreds of dollars for promised training or driven hours to attend a class - just find out - all it was a sales pitch.

I think the whole thing is a terrible idea and the only people who will benefit is the State. I guess it is to late but I wish they would trash the whole licensing plan. Many of you do not agree with me now but just wait until you have to deal with the State. It is going to screw every G.C. who has been doing home inspections by making us obtain and maintain another license which will be a huge financial burden.

Michael,

This is typical for other license that I have. As a home inspector the Cont. ed. should be different than those for GC. It is the price you pay to be a GC, Home Inspector or any other that requires a professional license. Why should you try two kill to birds with two stones if they are not the same. Just mu opinion

To save money. It has always been about the money as far as I am concerned. The State only is doing it to receive more revenue and they sold the idea to those who will be paying the costs. Anyone who thinks this will help them make more money does not have there head on straight. My opinion is less government is always better but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Does anyone actually think that because the State is overseeing licensing that there are going to be better inspectors because of it? Wake up everyone because all of us are getting screwed and not even getting kissed. I believe it is to late to change anything so I am not even sure why I am still complaining. I just want to be on record saying this will help no one but the States bank account. Good luck to you all.

Then why do GC’s need a license when you have 20 years plus of experience. You pitch in your web site that Home Inspectors do not have licenses and the customer should go with you because you have a GC license. Welcome to America fair for all and pay the price to play. Now Home Inspectors will have license and any ways you make more money (or have potential to make more) as a “GOOD GC” than a home inspector. Don’t you?

There is not much new construction going on right now and that is what I prefer to do. Remodel and fix-it work is not my thing. I advertise how ever I think it will get the potential customers attention if I have something that may make me look better than the competition I put it up. Like I have said before CONGRADULATIONS to all who wanted this I wish you all the best of luck. Just remember what I say this will not help any home inspectors or contractors or customers it will only help the State. Enjoy.

How is it a huge financial burden? You should already have GL insurance. The cost of the license is $200.00 (until they raise it), and most GC continuing educational requirements will be able to also be used for the home inspector continuing education.

bill,

I tried to answer twice and erased it sorry. Here is my short opinion. I am against it all because it cost me additional money and the costs will reoccur every year. More money out of my pockets and into the States and insurance companies. If I did not have to pay any more or additional than I do now I would not care but I will have to pay approximately the same amount to the State and Insurance as I do for my GC license that will double my licensing and insurance cost. Double the cost is a huge amount to me.

Michael,

I am in no way trying to put your advertising down or ask why you prefer to do home inspections that is none of my business. If it works for you more power to you. Face it government is not the answer to everything (balance is) but it is what it is. If you are expecting it to fix everything in the GC, Home inspection or any other licensing world you are in for a surprise. Have you seen what is happening to FL Mortgage Brokers another license, test and more expenses. In my opinion with the new licensing of FL home inspectors it gives more weight and accountability to the profession.

I know I cannot fix any of it and it may well give more weight and accountability to the profession but it is going to be a pain in the a s s and cost everyone who must now get one time and money each and every year. I do not think the time and money are worth the more weight and accountability to the profession. It is to late anyhow for my opinion to matter. I am just venting I guess.

Just some information regarding licensing for you guys who are just about to experience being in a state with a law requiring a license.

When Arizona changed the law requiring an inspector receive 80 hrs. of schooling, then pass the NHIE in a proctored environment and have either E&O Insurance ($200,000.00 min) or a $25,000.00 Cash Bond we had Home Inspection Schools pumping out new inspectors right and left.

Since the law was changed here in 2003 I believe there was at one time about 1,900 state certified inspectors, the fee for the average Home Inspection was about $250.00 or less.

Now within the last few years we are down to about 600 state Certified Inspectors with “Active Licenses-Certification”…I can now charge about $410.00 for a 2000 sf. house without much competition and I do about one-two inspections per day myself. I worked each day this past holiday weekend, today I took it off to finally get around to some yard work etc, I don’t have time for during the week, business couldn’t be better…!

So I believe you will find after the law there is changed there will be a LOT of inspectors competing for low cost inspections and schools pumping out thousands of Inspectors, but in time, it will weed out the folks who take the profession seriously and do inspections full time instead of having a couple 100K inspectors who might be doing inspections on the side for a few extra bucks in their pockets.

In all, I believe licensing created a professional designation (“Arizona Certified Inspector”) for people who take this business seriously.

Home Inspectors are in the same category with the state of Arizona as Engineers, Architects, Etc, who are also required to have a state certification of compliance with the laws so not every Tom-Dick and Harry can call themselves Certified Home Inspectors.

Dale,
Home Inspectors are in the same category with the state of Arizona as Engineers, Architects, Etc. Are you kidding me? I do not even put General Contractors in the same category as Engineers, Architects they must take years and years of college. How should the home inspectors make it through these tough times you say are comming with the thousands of new inspectors and such?

Hi Mike,

Yes, Home Inspectors in Arizona are listed with the Arizona Board of Technical Registrationthe same licensing authority Engineers are required to comply with their particular laws of Certification…I’m not saying Home Inspectors are anyway affiliated as being Engineers.

I’m saying in Arizona when the law was changed from any Tom-Dick-Harry could call themselves a Certified Home Inspector to every Tom-Dick and Harry to abide by the laws of the state of Arizona we had thousands of new inspectors when the law changed.

But since 2003 the thousands dropped to a few Hundred because people like me who do Home and Commercial Inspection full time, have E&O Insurance, stay busy everyday now and I can charge about twice what was the normal fee of about $200-$250.00 for a 2000 sf slab on grade, stucco, and a tile roof before Licensing took affect.

So I believe you will see a LOT of new State Certified Inspectors in your state the first couple years, but after that, the numbers will drop significantly and the fee one is able to charge will increase substantially.

any suggestions on how to get thru those few or more years with all the new costs and competition?

Thank you for that Dale, the key is “for people who take this business seriously” and not for people that just switch over when one thing is slow…

You really have to do the best possible inspection and hope those inspections lead to referrals, my business now is basically all referrals from past customers, with a handful of good Realtors who actually want the best inspection for their clients, seldom do I get any calls or emails from my internet presence.

It will be hard the first couple of years Mike…but if you stick with it, THEY WILL COME…!

And believe me…within a couple years after the state laws are changed to require certification, it will weed out the wanna-be’s and part-timers…!

It has worked here anyway, which was the reason for my first post in this thread, just to relay some information about what happened in Arizona.

We went from thousands, to less than 600 state wide the last time I counted the amount of actual people with active licenses-certification.

If you get caught here doing an inspection without state certification there are stiff penalties and you will probably never get a license if caught inspecting a home without state certification.

Good Luck to you all…!

Hi Jose…!

You’re exactly right, just wait and see what will happen, I know first hand.

If you do a great inspection, do inspections Full Time, you will have a great business to be proud of.

It does not happen overnight, but in time, if you take the business seriously, you will have a great income and be proud of what you do to help people.

Just for the record…money collected by the state for Home Inspector licensing does not go into the general fund. It is held by, in this case by the DBPR to hire staff, regulate the industry, conduct investigations of unlicensed activity etc.
If it ends up collecting more than it needs to run its operation, it will be returned to inspectors by having lower annual fees for a year or two.
Sounds like a cold day in hell, but it did happen with real estate agents in the mid 2000s . So many new agents signing up and paying for a license that at least one year the annual renewal was lowered to 5.00!