FLORIDA LICENSING ? A MEASURED RESPONSE

Originally Posted By: jburkeson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Deleted… icon_biggrin.gif

Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: jmertins

Joe,

I think the bill has already run into issues in the senate.(grandfather clause) I doubt it will go through with the initial form. I applaud your energy but feel we should channel it into a more positive way of getting this into a form that will be fair to all.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Joe,

Just curious.

Were you at the meeting / hearing, I think it was yesterday?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

jburkeson wrote:
Jerry, no I wasn't there, I am using another tactic commonly known as rabble-rousing,

Then I guess I will have to pay more attention to Harvey Gordon. Not only does he dislike the Florida inspector licensing, but he went and tried to do something about it, other than to just cause trouble.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Jerry P:

I had a long conversation with Harvey Gordon last evening. The gentleman is Sharp, Intelligent and very Articulate. His passion for Life and the HI Industry is quite evident. His ideas reflect his primary concern for the Consumer. A Compassionate Businessman. He is going to give many an Inspector a run for their money in South Florida.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

hgordon wrote:
Hi All...here is the latest from Tallahassee regarding the Bill....

Basically let me first start by saying how disappointing it was to see that there was basically NO TURNOUT from anyone from NACHI or Florida...but then again, there was no turnout by members of any of the other associations either. How sad!

Sad because I personally spoke to 20 out of the 27 HI's in the yellow pages in Tallahassee (by the way, they were clueless about the bill and in each case they agreed that they were affected and did not meet the grandfather requirements) and other than Lamar Bagwell of AIS and I, they (6 HI's) were the only HI's to show up!

This is why that bill ALMOST went through. Everybody has opinions, but no one wants to put feet to their words! Anyway:

I spoke, as did Lamar Bagwell (AIS President), Bernard Sullivan (independent inspector), also lobbyists for ASHI, FABI, and AAHI.

Bottom line is that after ASHI and AAHI buried themselves, I was allowed to speak and tell the story from the perspective of a HI...they listened and agreed that the Grandfather Clause was flawed and tipped in favor of ASHI and FABI...with that in mind, they agreed that the "verbiage" need to corrected and they will be redoing it and keeping us posted when it would be "heard" again.

So for now, it would seem that we are still in business!

Harvey

Harvey is a Visionary with a Can-Do attitude to overcome obstacles.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Harvey,

I invite you to our local inspectors monthly meeting. It is open to all local inspectors and after years and years or trying to reach the new inspectors we kind of gave up on reaching them (them would come and go so quickly, and frequently would not bother to come learn and chat with other local inspectors.

If you are as Joe H. said, you will undoubtedly come, and be a great contributor to those meetings.

E-mail me if you are interested in attending those meetings.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Joe,

If you've been paying attention to the posts, you would know the answer to that.

And know that it is an incorrect statement.

My suggestion is to go back and re-read the posts all over again. This, pay attention to what they say.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

jburkeson wrote:
First I would like to attribute the follow proposal to an idea generated by Jerry Peck who suggested that an inspector might be able to quickly obtain their 250 inspections by simply charging $1. The idea has merit but most of us have an on-going business and would have a difficult time reinventing our business once we started doing low cost inspections, the problem is, would how do we go back to charging full price once we become the known low-cost inspector?

Joe,

The problem will arise when you become know as the low cost inspector, which you pointed out. At $49.95, you will become now as the low cost inspector.

At $1, you will advise you clients that you are providing a service to them while obtaining your 250 inspections. Once you have your 250 inspection, the cost is $xxx. They will recognize that as a good deal.

Hey, first 250 customers are let in free and get free Tee shirts! That type of marketing is used all the time.

Except that you must charge $1, to make it a "fee paid inspection".

Charging anything more than $1 and anything less than your regular inspection cost, WILL get you known as the "low cost" inspector.

Hey, use Joe, he is cheap.

Or.

Hey, call Joe, he still has 30 more to do to get to 250 inspections, and he is doing them at $1 each. Better call him before he completes all of his 250 and the price goes to $xxx.

It's your call.
Which would you rather have?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: hgordon

WOW…I am humbled by the attention, but more than that I am totally blown away by the mess that Joe B has going…guys lets stop the nonsense!

Here are the facts as they stand:

1. The bill (as it was written) was clear in it's language that you had to have 250 in before July 2004. Nowhere did it state that you had 1 year to "come into compliance". And by the way, I am not sure about you guys, but it takes me about 3 to 4 hours per inspection...at that rate if you were 200 shy it would take you 100 days, that's 20 weeks making only $10/week...and remember you still carry the liability!

Stop wasting the time trying to "cheat" the system, which is already messed up, and instead FIX IT!!

2. The bill sponsor (Representative Bob Allen allen.bob@myfloridahouse.com) inherited the bill and now that he has heard from us, realizes that ASHI stamp is all over it and that as it was it was going to do more harm than good.

Hearing from HI's at the workshop made a big impact on him. If you want to help, go to the next meeting of the house on Monday the 27th in Tallahassee where once again it is on the calendar!

3. What we need it Action not Reaction! Guys, we all know that the bill is ASHI and it's bad for us the guys who are not 3 year veterans with 250 + inspections....and let me just say, we (those who do not meet the criteria) ARE THE MAJORITY!!! Yet the sad point is that we sit back hoping that the other guy will fight for us! We are too concerned with doing one more inspection that we loose sight that the guys who have the 250+ are out there fighting to put us out of business!

I have said this in the past, if you are not willing to fight for your rights as a Home Inspector, then go and flip hamburgers. Don't wait for someone to fight for you...you get out there and let the Representatives and Senators look you in the eyes as they contemplate putting you out of business.

Until you are before them in person, you are non existent...but ASHI and the others are real THEY SHOW UP!

4. Here they go again. I was just called by an inspector who noticed that the bill is scheduled to be on the floor at the house again on Monday the 27th at 6pm. I am not sure why it is scheduled but believe me, WE GOTTA BE THERE!!!

Call Rep. Bob Allen's office and voice your concern to him as well as ask why it's back on the floor.

Also, go to http://www.myfloridahouse.com/committees_detail.aspx?id=2108 and call each of the subcommittee members that will be hearing it. Make some waves! But you MUST still SHOW UP!!

Finally Joe...bottle up your energy and focus it on the House and the SENATE. Your calls to them asking that they not pass a bill that puts you out of business while favoring the special intrest groups that are paying lobbyists to try to "cut competion" will have more of an inpact on keeping you in business than trying to destroy the very thing we are fighting for.

Harvey

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Jerry, are you talking about Gulfstream? If so, not interested…I’ve been and besides it is ASHI.

Instead, get ready because we are putting the final touches on the first SE Florida Chapter meeting of NACHI.

Get the news out to all your ASHI friends...they are invited as well. It is going to be great!

If you are interested, email me at NACHI@StepByStepHI.com with the subject NACHI CHAPTER MEETING and I will add you to the invitation list.

Joe H,

Thank you for your kind words!

Harvey

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org