Florida mold bill SB440 filed

Hi Richard,

take a close look at the bill as drafted, in particular take a look at my post #5 in this thread and the highlighted section.

Regards

Gerry

“A pre-purchase evaluation of a property must include an assessment of moisture incursion and fungal growth.”

I have read through the bill several times. I see this requirement being in exactly the same manner in which WDO/WDI being a mandatory requirement for all real estate transactions and it having to be performed by a Florida Licensed Pest Control contractor. I do not see where it says the Home Inspector has to perform this function, in fact, just the opposite. I see unqualified Home inspectors having to stop performing this service just like for Termite inspections, unless they meet the requisite training and certifications. Many HI do not do WDO/WDI and do not wish to. I do not see this bill changing that.

Hi Doug,

for once I am in complete disagreement with your analysis, whilst serveral states do not allow home inspectors to comment on the presence (or lack of) WDI/WDO issues, I am aware of no state that even suggests the same when it comes to moisture issues.

Under this rediculous proposal we could potentially be commiting a crime by commenting on a dripping tap!!!

Regards

Gerry

How would this be bad. Don’t most of us do Mold?

Gary, watch my lips (OK never mind) what will you be required to do to be in compliance with this proposal???

Gerry

I just read thru it, and it scares me. Richard - it plainly says any inspection before a sale, a “Pre-purchase evaluation” must contain a mold inspection.
The mandatory CE doesn’t bother me, but all the other powers given to the “board”.
And this board is from the Construction industry licensing board. And guess who the 1st people exempt are - contractors do not have to go thru this BS! So, if this is passed, they are thinking how many construction and new home inspections will be done. Not as many as before!

I can’t see it passing, but I think it needs to see a quick, uneventful death before it makes it through committee!

Thanks for posting it Gerry.

The requirements scare me. The realtors will fight this one. They hate mold. It will add to the cost of a home sale.

And, as a side note, look at Sen Bennett’s web page, here are some interesting accomplishments:

• Florida Home Builders Association, Appreciation and Recognition Award, 2003

• Gulf Coast Builders Exchange, Inc.: Certificate of Appreciation as Installing Officer, 2003; Certificate of Appreciation as a Member of Subcontractors Council, 2002
    And his background:

• Manasota Specialties Contractors, President, 1997-2000

• American Subcontractors Association, President, 1993-1999

• Electrical Council of Florida, President, 1986-1989
    Occ****upation:

Electrical Contractor

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_4.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZN](“http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZN”)

Good work Andrew. Do you do mold testing?

I see the problem now

Any one with a moisture meter better have a license to carry same

HVAC - Roofer - HI - Plumber - etc

This is out of hand!

Here is another side of the coin — Someone buying a new home will not have the $ to fix a problem – someone selling a home normally does have some equity to clean it up thus a dirty home will not become a problem for an insurance company or bank

So lets look at the insurance lobby also

This is a BIG mess

Gerry thank you for finding same

Now is the time for us to get a plan together and get off our buts

rlb

Garry to carry on doing mold testing you will need to have done a 2 year microbiology course. Under this bill you cannot do home inspection without doing a mold test. Do you see where this is going!!

It will be interesting to see what group is behind this bill. I bet it is the HBA. This bill in effect will give only licensed contractors the ability of conducting a legal home inspection until other qualifications have been developed and approved…

As I read it licensed contractors will have to do the CE and carry the same insurance like the rest of us. This will be a mess for them also.

Contractors in this area do not want to do HI work because they enjoy building and thus making more $$

Perhaps this whole thing is written in error and was not to try to regulate HI’s at all. Esp when it gets into the shorts of roofers, HVAC and other CONTRACTORS

------ Short war story ---- bad mold problem in new custom built home — health issues — etc. $45,000 issue

Cause of problem ----- OVER SIZED HVAC

------ A good HI found the problem. The builder and HVAC contractor split the damages.

HI did the inspection for the lawyer

rlb

We need to ensure the realtors see this bill