Florida SOP Reports

Thanks, my wife’s Version 8 just went tits up and I couldn’t get it to reload, I’ll give this a go.

If you have any questions let me know. It works a little different but in my opinion very user friendly.

Is no one worried that the SOP does not state that we are not accountable for code compliance?

Not sure which John you are referring to. I do agree with most of what you wrote. We use an SOP because we have no building codes, boards of review like other professions or like systems. Since home inspections is a newer profession consumers need to understand what to expect. That is what an SOP is for. Without it there would be more complaints and lawsuits.

Huh… do you wish to be accountable for code compliance? I assume that is a typo???

No, I DON’T want to be accountable for code compliance - The exclusion, which exists in every professional SOP (NACHI, ASHI, FABI) does NOT exist in the published SOP that I can see - The whole of the Limitations and Exclusions chapter has been deleted - There were some very important exclusions there!

The current SOP would appear to hold us accountable to every code???

Does anyone else read it that way??

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that as of Oct 22, 2013 we are mandated to adhere to the State SOP: 61-30.801 through 61-30.811 minus 61-30.808 (Fireplaces)and 61-30.809 (Appliances) Except as Fireplaces and Appliances are defined in 61-30.807…is this correct?

When you all get it figured out let me know what is is :slight_smile: I’ve got know clue to what the State SOP is or will be.
Good Luck.

'nough said.

It is quite simple. Do what you have been doing.

As for enforcing code, unless you are a code official, you can’t do it as it is a violation of another chapter.

I’ll check with some sources to see if a final, copy-able version is available or will be in the future.

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61-30

I put the SOP in one Word file.

Before the standards came out I had a problem with a water heater. I did not, nor have I ever removed the cover plates to the heating elements. One of them was bad and corroded and not working. As these plates / cover panels are considered readily accessible, I guess now they all need to be opened.

Well done, Eric.
If I read the SOP correctly, we are required to inspect appliances and the rest is out of the SOP published by ASHI. Which makes sense as ASHI collaborated with the state to publish the law.
Only took 3 years to get here. Guess the state committees’ were busy.
For those that teach-the state has eliminated the 20 hour field inspection requirerment and you must be a certified HI to instruct.

Thanks eric for the word doc. Is that it??? Final done deal?

Eric,

My concern is not with enforcing codes, but being held accountable for every single code.

The statement that we are NOT accountable for codes, regulations, etc. is NOT in the State SOP, therefore can a client assume that we are responsible to verify every code?

I can’t believe that nobody else is concerned with the lack of Limitations and Exclusions that exist in every organization’s SOP.

What was left out is covered in other Statutes. It is also a minimum, you can do more.
Personally, I won’t be changing my current SoP as they exceed these in almost every area.

Be forewarned, this is a stripped down version. I suspect that there will be, and I hear there already are, forces at work to change this version. And not for the good of home inspectors.

Nothing is ever final…except for death! :wink:

I have reason to want to see the code exclusion - can you point out where in the Rules it states that we are not required to determine compliance with code?

Thanks!!

We are not code inspectors and the state knows that.
A code inspector is a different animal altogether.
Inasmuch, There is no need to include such in a SOP.

See Roys post above.

Also, if it concerns you, simply add this to either your SoP or every page in your report:
The Inspector is not required to:
Determine if any code requirements have been met.