Food for thought .

I wonder could we as Home inspectors with the government help set up a Proper group to manage the industry our selves having nothing to do with any association.
( this way all associations can keep there name and group and have nothing to do managing licensing ??? )
This has been done by other groups I think.

]http://www.law-lib.utoronto.ca/investing/reports/rp26.pdf[/FONT]

Regulation exists in almost all areas of human activity including the environment, construction, hiring policy, health and safety standards, information disclosure, product pricing, wage levels, and hours worked. For most of the 20th century, government designed, administered and enforced formal rules, although private actors have typically played some role in this process.1 However, direct state regulation has long been criticized as inflexible, excessively expensive, inadequately designed, poorly enforced and vulnerable to special interests. The past decade has witnessed numerous governments re-evaluate their regulatory strategy.2
This paper examines one aspect of these efforts at regulatory reform - the increasing use of various forms of self-regulation by industry. Self-regulation takes a variety of forms including voluntary codes of conduct developed by industry,
self-regulatory bodies whose powers are granted by statute (such as for doctors, lawyers and accountants) and delegated regulatory powers where regulations are administered by an industrial organization.
3 Proponents of self-regulation claim that it brings a range of advantages over traditional forms of regulation. These advantages include leveraging the information and resources of industry, higher
1 J. Freeman,

Roy, I believe that was the tenet of the recommendations with regard to Discipline which was to be an all party group. The problem with deferring delegated powers to an industrial organisation is choosing the organisation to pick. As regulation would be Ontario based, one would presume that the “Industry organisation” would have to be Ontario based also. In the Home Inspection profession this would obviate (in alphabetical order) ASHI, CAHPI, CAHPI, CanNACHI, InterNACHI, NHICC and PHPIC as they are all either International or Federal in focus. This leaves OAHI and OntarioACHI. OAHI has the assets but little respect, OntarioACHI is new and as yet in it’s formative years. So the natural choice doesn’t exist. We could “Merge” with another DAA, or industry Association, but which would you choose?

RECO who represent Realtors or OBOA who represent the builders. Neither are really at arms length to the property sale process and they both would tend to be seen as having a conflict of interest with the consumer who wants independent advice.

These were all considerations made by the MCS Panel. Much was also discussed about the models in Alberta and B.C. In B.C., who I believe are re-visiting their model, it is very much the wild west. Any Association big enough, and Canadian enough, that lobbies the provincial government gets the right to issue a license. In Alberta, again the Associations with the greatest voices get to call the shots, but at least in Alberta the Government issues the licenses.

In Ontario we believe we have moved on step further toward professional practice with an independent DAA being created, which will develop policiy in conjunction with ALL the Associations operating in Ontario. The Government will be the registrar, giving consumers, like in Alberta, a single point for referencing who is an isn’t licensed. The DAA is likely to have all party input to develop ongoing policy, as does RECO, the Law Society, the FSBO and other DAAs in Ontario.

The recommendations are that the Discipline process committees are made up of representatives of the HI profession, the Consumer Advocacy groups and Government, with the HI profession having the largest representation.

The unfortunate thing is that with an optional service, and market forces, then number of HIs is small compared with the costs of administering regulation. This in my opinion is going to be one of the critical deciding factors in how things proceed.

One of the questions I asked several Senators when the Kansas HI laws were being pushed into play years ago, is “How are you going to pay for these laws, regulations, board members and enforcement and attorney fees?”

It gets lawmakers to think when you mention money. It is one thing all people understand.

Thanks for your post’s Gary your Info is much appreciated and could get some of us looking in a different direction