For newer inspectors

Do you know what the issue with this is?

PA093828.JPG

Maybe reminder for some seasoned inspectors too.
I ran into this in a house built in 1988 last week.
Goodman Mfg model #HCC050ND3R

Hundreds of these are still in service today. Your model number does not contain an “X,” which are the recalled furnaces.

Jeff…dude you got some good eyes or I just dont know how to blow that pic up to view…but my first look wouldve been its location so close to the access and the wearing of socked sandals to do an inspection.

I think Jeff used his powers of reasoning more than his eyes as he figured like any good detective that Ralph had a reason for including the model number.

Now as for that missing drip leg…

Haha…I just looked again…Shame on me…I didnt see that the model # is posted under the pic. Talk about snake in the grass.

Nope. I’m not THAT young Paul :wink:

CA Home Inspectors can go a lifetime without seeing a drip leg. They are not required in most jurisdictions out here. . .

You should however wear appropriate clothing.

Sandals with socks are appropriate clothing for Humboldt County:) Besides I have a medical condition which I minimize by wearing open toed shoes whenever possible. I ussualy wear my indoor shoes inside the house, but this house didn’t require specialized footwear.

I went back to the recall page and I guess I didn’t understand the ‘X’ component of the model number in the table. Thanks for that information Jeff. I have only seen a few of these furnaces and it’s been a couple of years.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01189.html

But since you are not a code inspector you use you powers of common sense and recommend them I hope?

They are used to trap condensation in the line and prevent valve damage despite the alt name (aka) dirt leg.:wink:

No. This is one of those issues that is determined by the local utility company - much like the use of copper piping/tubing for natural-gas supply.

Apparently our fuel is dry. . .

No, many manufacturers REQUIRE them in their installation instructions as do water heater manufacturers.

Chuck

It is the same here. Very few drip legs with the exception of being on many of the meter / regulators outside and we do have very dry nat’l gas. It has been the fuel of choice here for many decades because of the abundance and close proximity to sources. They have developed a very good delivery system over the many years. What we don’t see are boilers, oil furnaces, etc. (or many basements to house all those).

Pardon the thread drift. . .

I haven’t seen this. Can you post an example?

Semantics! Don’t confuse a drip leg with a sediment trap. Different animals for different requirements even though they are constructed the same. I agree that drip legs (for trapping moisture) are only needed if the local gas supplier requires them. Sediment traps on the other hand are required by IRC G2419.4 as well as many appliance manufacturers for all applications. I know CA uses their own versions of the code so they may be different. See the AOSmith water heater installation instructions below (see, even they confuse the terms somewhat).

York, Carrier for starters on the furnace ends.

Bradford White, GE and others for water heaters below is a Bradford White installation manual see page 15 section 1.

http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/shared/pdfs/manuals/238-47656-00B.pdf

We all know manufacturers installation guidelines trumps Local AHJ every time.

Chuck

Interesting. I just looked at the install manual for my BW water heater (2 years old) and it has no such language. I guess I’ll have to look into this a bit more to determine if I need to change my reporting.

To be continued. . .

Read …it is in there BW has required them for years. When I run across BW and the manual is at the unit, as it should be, I always find it, underline it and put the page number in the report. I always like it when the installation manual says MUST be installed, kinda stops some people in their tracks (plumbers, handymen, contractors, sellers, builders, etc) Same with all the other manufacturers.

The city of Corona requires one be put on the main gas line to the house or building!

Chuck

Here is a unit that falls into the category of recalled furnaces. . .

Oh, and there is no drip leg :wink:

20091015_07_01.JPG

20091015_10_01.JPG

Unless I missed someone else mentioning this…is that galvanized pipe being used for the gas supply line???