Foundation cracks

Originally Posted By: jane molina
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

On a hairline or 1/16 foundation crack or cracks , what kind of concrete patch do you use to seal them with for best results ? There are alot of products out there . is the concern for slab foundations the same as for a raised one

Jane

Originally Posted By: Guest

There are numerous products Jane.

Injectible epoxies can be forced into a crack that size and provide good results.

If the crack is widened and shaped like a dovetail, hydraulic cements would work very well.

If it's just to waterproof, polyurethane caulk or proprietary concrete caulks like Geocell or Abatron make will work too.

Thanks Chad

They stress the issue on vertical verses horizontal cracks , how so?

Originally Posted By: Guest

In all likelihood Jane, the horizontal cracks are structural concerns typically caused by frost heave, expansive soils or excessive compaction of the soil surrounding the foundation by equipment. That situation requires remedial work to secure the integrity of the foundation and none of the products I listed would “fix” a horizontal crack.

I’m curious how a stair step is created on a slab foundation. Did you mean a slab footing and cmu foundation?

Jane, it's 4:30 am in California what the heck are you doing awake, much less thinking about concrete.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

It really depends on the type of crack.

A horizontal crack in a basement wall is bad news, because walls span vertically from the floor to the footing. Once the wall cracks that way significant strength is lost ... recommend an SE for that.

For vertical hairline cracks that are not moving (careful there) ya can epoxy inject them which works well with stabilized hairline cracks, or rout and seal with a polyurethane sealant. There are also other hydro-active injection products that can be used for active water leaks.

Recommend a good SE if ya suspect anything unusual, or recommend a good foundation repair contractor for minor non-structural cracks.

Just my 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Thanks

I am not a home inspector , just a person who likes to learn about these

things for home buying purposes so excuse the dumb ?.

how do you know if it’s a crack still moving.

Can there be a horizontal crack on slab on grade foundations that

you only see 6 to 8 inches of foundation. not a raised foundation now.

jane

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Cracking can be very very difficult to assess, and ya need to be up close and personal. Leave that one up to the experts … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong