Foundation inspection in socal

I did a Foundation Inspection and found these post and piers. This is my first time seeing this type pier that had a block installed while possibly wet. This is a house that was built in the 60s. I seen some typical verticle cracking in poured-in-place foundation walls.(typicle for SoCal)
Interior was probably remodeled in the 70s. The doors were closing fine and were not out of plumb, and did not see any cracks in the walls.
Question, would you still recommend further evaluation by foundation contractor?
Ps. I checked a few of the beams and were level or intolerance.

Short answer - yes

2 Likes

Write hard. Pier deterioration and undersized. I would recommend further evaluation.

3 Likes

Correct answer… NO!
You already did the evaluation and discovered (a) failing pier(s).
Call it out for REPAIRS to all piers exhibiting deterioration!!

6 Likes

But, I was trying to get along with saying “recommend” or “evaluate”. So, we are in agreement to call out defects? I like that.

Thanks for bring me back to my senses.

1 Like

I don’t open myself up to what repairs should be made. I pass that liability onto the next guy who further evaluates… :wink:

1 Like

And that’s what defines the difference between a Professional and a Hobbyist.
A Professional has no concern in stating that something needs repair or replacement.
A Hobbyist confuses that with thinking it means to instruct on HOW it should be repaired or replaced!

1 Like

I would agree

Now can’t we all just get along? :smile:

How about further evaluation AND repair by a really smart person.

5 Likes

I don’t do contracting any more.

Never said that I would not state that it should be repaired or replaced, just said further evaluation is recommended. In my narratives, I would state that “the piers show signs of deterioration and are possibly undersized for the load for them. Further evaluation by a foundation contractor in recommended to determine any and all repairs to correct these issues.”

1 Like

My 2 ¢

A damaged pier footing was viewed at ___ location, recommend corrections be made by a qualifed contractor.

6 Likes

I jest, but that is a good point. While speaking to an E&O lawyer once, he stated the recommended action to “repair” something is very important. And if you recommend further evaluation, include the repair action in the comment.

And from our perspective, if it needs repair or correction…say so.

4 Likes

And I do in my reports, just not always in my post on here… :shushing_face: :wink:

3 Likes

IMO, this is where you cross the line! :wink:

1 Like

Maybe, but it’s not my call for sure. Thus the word “possibly”… :wink:

1 Like

A good Attorney would rip you apart over that!
Just the fact that you mentioned the “possibility” opens you up for liability!

1 Like

sage advice

1 Like

I have some good ones in my pocket. Not worried… :wink:

2 Likes

I think I am leaning with Thomas on this one.

I have concerns the concrete piers may be undersized, were leaning and the wood post was not centered on the concrete pier. This may promote further damage or failure.

But sometimes less is more. Was all that necessary?

2 Likes