Foundation vibration

Here’s a new one for me. The inspection is in Northern Maine cold climate. Clients is questioning about a continuous mild vibration in the floors of the home including the basement slab. The power was shut off eliminating any thing mechanical like heat pumps wash machine etc. Also, no new construction or drilling being done in the area. we don’t have earthquakes to speak of. I wonder if there is a new source of water flow under and around the foundation? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Wow! That’s a new one. :man_shrugging:…no new manufacturing plants around now?

I would report what you are feeling (the vibration) and refer it out to a qualified professional…like maybe a soils engineer, or such.

1 Like

Sounds like a call out for a “Soils Engineer” to pay a visit.

http://www.mapss.org/memberdirectory16MAY2014.htm

1 Like

Could be municipal road works project underway.

Could be a neighbors well pump or condensing unit.

2 Likes

What town were you in? I was just up there for 5 days.

Vibrationville… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Van Buren! I’m located in New Limerick Houlton area.

1 Like

It could be those giant Maine Mosquitos hatching?
istockphoto-176876077-612x612

4 Likes

That’s the Chinese working on their invasion tunnel.

2 Likes

Since you are in a cold climate, have you thought about frost quakes?

1 Like

Probably off the board here, but in our rural area, there have been some “crypto mining” facilities erected around here. The cooling fans are driving the adjacent property owners nuts with sound and vibrations. Not that this is the case, but something we inspectors should get versed on.

2 Likes

My own personal experience which may be of no use to You at all…new construction home, leaking water main before the meter…

1 Like

Vibration most likely from the railroad cars on the track across the river in St. Leonard. The railroad usually exceeds 100 cars and has at least four engines or more.

4 Likes

Thank you!

I live in a railroad town. I never noticed my house shaking until about 5 years ago. I am not sure what changed, but now a few times a day when heavier trains come through, there is a tiny tremor throughout the whole house. I live four blocks from the lines.

2 Likes

Thank You!

Perhaps the house is tied to a communal sewage treatment system with an agitator pump not powered out of its main panel. If the pump motor runs continuously and is failing you could get constant vibration through the connected pipe.

1 Like