Foundation void inward

Hello all. Need your help with this one. Noted that the foundation is bowing inward. First time seeing this. Is this normal? Also, i have two photos showing conduit attached to the foundation. What are your thoughts?

Looks like something happen to the form boards when pouring?

Evening, Bennie. Hope this post finds you well.

The foundation is not bowing. The poured concrete foundation wall or walls are sloped.

Questions:
Is the home erected on a slab? Is there a basement? What’s under the slope foundation?

Electric service conduit for exterior circuit cable wires. Likely to service an outbuilding lighting and receptacles or even a HAVC compressor. Did you open the junction box in pic 2020…

Robert

They had a lock on the box. They but in a spa on there patio.

No basement, pour concrete slab.

Best Regards,

Bennie Anderson

Chief Executive Officer

Anderson Inspections

14403 Walters Rd. #682733

Houston, TX 77014

Office: (713) 730-9548

bennie@andersoninspects.com

www.andersoninspects.com

Bennie, that appears to be a stepped foundation installed to accommodate a slightly sloped building lot. I don’t really see any bowing or another foundation problem and there’s nothing wrong with attaching exterior conduit to a foundation or wall unless the support/connection points are too far apart.

Thank you Kenton. I will talk this over with my client.

Really, I don’t see anything to mention and if you bring up what we see in the photo, you may not get any more work from that agent. You wouldn’t from me if I were an agent. I don’t see a dangerous condition there.

As to your second question. This would be under Electrical in the report.
Observation: Sub/Remote equipment panel.
No apparent adverse conditions observed the day of the inspection.
Recommend: Request disclosure from the vender as to what the Sub/Remote equipment enclosure is for.
Limitation: Unknown ampacity. Locked enclosure.
One conduit feed, from the main panel, the other conduit is supply side.
Remember the 3 required items in reports, Bennie. Observations. Recommendations. Limitations.

Bennie. I asked you 3 questions. Please respond.

Not in my neck of the woods, Kenton. A step down foundation is as you described but the face of the foundation is vertical, not sloped inward.
step down foundtion illustration

The only foundation wall that slopes inwards I am aware of typically/usually/normally run perpendicular main foundation wall/s, at the front of rear, typically/usually but not always, to accommodate landings and staircases.

Having excavate lots for foundation repairs, weep tile blockages or grading improvements, I would come across 2 or 3 Stem Wall attached to the main foundation walls sloping Inward or Outward.
As expressed, the Stem Walls were attached to the main foundation walls either to ‘cantilever landings’ when the Stem Wall sloped/tapered inwards or use as the base from the staircase when the Stem Wall sloped/tapered outwards.

When I rebuilt poured concrete staircases I would demolish the steps, poured concrete treads and risers, to the metal lattice or bar steel, to form a flat surface. Then I formed wood stringers for treads and risers using 2" x 8" lumber and pour concrete. Parge the seam between the stem wall and newly pour concrete on the sides and Bob’s Your Uncle Mate, as good as new for a fraction of the cost of rebuilding the complete staircase. Now it is roughly $35,000 for a complete poured concrete landing and steps with bull nosing and guardrails.

Hypothese. The sloped foundation walls was a cantilever for a sunroom or landing. During the primary framing phase the initial floor plans were modified to increase square footage of living space.

If there is a basement the interior floor plans may help provide further insight.

Just my 2 cents.

Sorry for the edit.