Foundation Wall Crack Question

I’ve been studying to pass the home inspector exam and I’ve came across a question that got me thinking, the question asks:

Given a foundation wall that is cracked due to horizontal force

The choices are:
(a) You will not be able to determine whether the wall has also moved inward.

(b) If the wall has moved inward, the cracks would typically be wider on the inside face.

(c) If the wall has moved inward, cracks will typically be wider on the outside face.

(d) You should not be concerned unless the crack is at least 1/4" in width.

The correct answer is B but I picked C. I googled this question to get an explanation but still in my mind I see the cracks being wider on the outside face. Am I not picturing it correctly? I would like clarification on this question and all feedback is much appreciated!

If the wall comes inward the crack will be wider inside (inside the basement = inward) as it is opening up. In practice pretty much any horizontal crack gets a write-up. As far as inward movement, use a straightedge to set over the crack. It’s super easy to find even the slightest inward movement.

My old business partner was an engineer and gave a great analogy of cracked foundation walls and holding buckets of water in your hands with your knees locked. Once you unlock your knees (once the foundation is cracked) the system is significantly weakened.

5 Likes

the opening is wider on the side opposite the force…

8 Likes

https://www.nachi.org/gallery/settlement-and-cracks/lateral-movement-foundation-cracks

6 Likes

12 Likes

actually a good picture to explain the situation,

2 Likes

Thanks for your quick reply and that is a great analogy!

Thanks for the short and effective explanation. As soon as I read it, it made sense

1 Like

Thanks for the illustration. I was picturing it differently

1 Like

Yep, it’s actually a very good comparison. I just can’t help notice her foot position is incorrect for proper execution of the technique. lol

4 Likes

Please show us, sensei!

5 Likes

Blade of the foot, not the heal.

It’s actually “Kyo Sa Nim” in the art that I practice, but that’s ok, I knew what you meant. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That does not look like you! Kwan Jang Nim :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Brother from another mother. :laughing: :wink:

1 Like

Don’t mess with Mikey! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice memory JR. I made 1st Dan 6 months later and am working on 2nd Dan now. The workouts are brutal, but there is just as much time instructing, that can be even harder sometimes. LOL.

2 Likes

Awesome, you’re tough! Keep up the great work! :wink:

2 Likes

@ Michael Durante
Beastmode! :fire: :dragon:……. :martial_arts_uniform:

2 Likes