Four Point- Electrical Section Photo Req

My opinion the Ipad is to big, maybe the mini, we use a Galaxy s3 a Note 2 and samsung tablet 7". The tablet is too large to carry in most places. We use it for interiors only.

That’s what I’m using John, the Mini. Seems comfortable enough to carry. I guess similar to the Samsung Tab. I’m just having a difficult time making the transition over to onsite reporting. I guess part is getting familiar with the HIP mobile software and part is just remembering I now have the ipad to write with. I’ve been used to just holding the camera and taking tons of photos with that. Just dumped everything into the report back at the office. Now, I’m trying to slot all the photos while I’m there looking at the item or issue I’m writing about and there seems to be the issue for me. I guess like all else, it will get easier with time and tweaking here and there.

Thanks,

Bert

I am leaning to a windows based tablet so I can just transfer my software I use now over to it. Collect all the data, insert the pictures, and then, I could just go to a parking lot to finish everything up in about a half hour.

The thing I don’t want to do, is spend a bunch of time “playing” with all of my gadgets. I have finally gotten Open Office to work properly so I may go back to that program as it can do everything I want it to do. Slotting the pictures seems to be the hardest part.

Eric I saw one in the best buy Mobil store yesterday that looked awesome.

it was a asus tablet that ran on windows 8. I agree with software transfer and with the apple you cannot as far as I know have move than 1 window open at a time, ridiculous to me.

it was 599 but totally awesome and quick response. To me having multiple windows is a must for anything other than play.

Let me know if you get it and how it works. I would stick to at least windows 8 and not an android type tablet. Just my opinion I just think you will have a lot more options with it.

We insert all pics on site and all styles and materials are easily done on a phone. We sometimes have to tweak our comments afterwards. Using google voice is easy to have a longer comment, you just have to think it through before you say it. We also use swiftkey as it remembers most text and predicts what we are going to type really well.

I am using Homegauge but will switch to HIP if Dom finishes the merge feature.

While I review with the client one inspector slots images that were taken with the camera and merges the reports. It usually takes me 10 mins to review the report after we are done. If the house is a POS we usually take more images with the cameras, because it is quicker and then slot them later. The other inspectors usually finish those reports while driving to the next. Rarely they have something to do after we are done inspecting for the day, but it does happen occasionally.

Okay John. Then you aren’t using the ipad with HG. Just the phones. I see. I was wondering about the tablet as Eric mentions because it could have just allowed be to use HG onsite as well. Oh we’ll, I’ve got this ipad mini now and need to stick it out and make it work for now. I figured out yesterday how to transfer those pictures I do take with the digital camera (attic, crawl, dark areas etc…) to the ipad and then slot them. I simply upload them to Dropbox from my desktop pc and then open and download them to the ipad. Thanks for the input…

Bert

Bert… just thinking… can you get an adapter for the ipad mini to allow the use of a eye fi card? Or what about installing dropbox as an ap on your ipad? Will that help?

Not my area of expertise… just typing before thinking LOL

We use the phones/tablets and then merge on the computer, then install any unslotted pics.

That’s exactly what I did Michelle. I have drop box synced to my pc and the ipad. It’s easier than and eyefi card I believe. Plus no adapter needed. Ultimately I’d like to just take pictures of defects and immediately slot them where they go in the report and when I’m done, upload the report to the cloud. Then download to the pc to proof and make whatever changes are needed and send. I don’t know if I would ever want to send from the job site. But, I may eventually if I were to get that quick and accurate with onsite reporting.
Thanks for all the valuable suggestions.

Bert

Thank you for the replies. The problem I see is that the photo requirement per the Citizens Four Point form states panel and interior door photo and not dead front panel removed photo. Although dead front removal to determine wiring type is understood, this requirement is not listed as a requirement to be photographed. Is this because Citizens would not want to be liable for requiring inspectors to complete it in writing? I would concur that this to be true otherwise the language in the photo requirement would be different or licensing requirement for this type of inspection would change. In the end, liability vs fee associated for this type of inspection are heading in opposing directions. As disclaimers begin to populate the inspection reports in an attempt to protect from the additional liabilities, inspectors will be required to do more for less- bottom line…

I believe somewhere on the form it also says additional photos can be added to verify things, like the copper wiring. As for the reason it isn’t a “required photo”, your guess is as good as mine. I would state my reason, but I don’t want to be accused of bringing down the whole inspection industry…

As to your statement about the fees, the only way to prevent the fees from dropping is to not do them for lower fees. I charge $200.00 for a stand alone 4-point. If someone else want to do it for $50, let them.
But, guess what…in about 9 months, after a bunch of these 50 dollar inspections get kicked back, for various reasons, there will be a re-inspection program…sound familiar?

…State Farm is encouraging their agents to use a preferred vendor. This vendor who’s initials start with a D and end with an I charges 55.00 bucks for 4pts.

That company has been hitting the curcuit hard advising everyone to use their services. The problem is what happens if there is a question. Who do you speak to? They are working under QB.

Let them…I would much rather take my boat out for the day for the five dollar boat ramp fee and come back with a bunch of Dolphin or Lobsters, than rumble around a 50 year old home for an hour and a half. :mrgreen:

That is why the prices keep going lower and lower. Most folks have to pay the bills and feed the family and MUST work. In the old days I would not stand on the side of the road holding a sign for $100 an hr. Now days you bet I would.

Everything is about price now with the clients. Those who do not believe it either have wealthy clients or are fools. Very few even have the common since that should tell them they would want to pay the best guy regardless of price for the most important investment of their lives.

The worst ones are the ones that say I aaa um need to get a inspection what does yours cost. I say what kind of inspection would you like they say aaa um iam buying a house and “they” said I need one. I always want to just hand up but I always explain all the different types and help them figure out what they need then tell them the price if they don’t hang up then I proceed to tell them why I am a good choice then I never hear from them again.:slight_smile: I don’t want to work for fools anyhow. let them go to the $ 99 whole home inspection guy. they will get what they deserve then get the house they cannot afford then lose it and some flipper will make a few bucks on it.

The cheap 4 points are just crazy to do. I even have a fellow I consider a good friend and Mentor and he does them way to cheap in my opinion but I do not tell others how to run their businesses.

State Farm shouldn’t be recommending anybody until they start writing policies in Fl. again.

“True Dat”!