Four Point Inspection Question (Electrical)

Sorry the above is so sloppy I just wanted to throw it out there while i get started on my Honey DO list for the day. Those are the only questions I am ever asked it works all the time. I would suggest we put approx year updated for each category “IF” known.

NEW FORM NEW FORM NEW FORM

Lets all work smarter this year not harder :slight_smile:

1. Air Conditioning and Heating
    Date of Manufacture or installation
    Did unit heat and cool properly

2. Roof
    Roof covering type
    Year roof was installed
    Approximate life expectancy based on covering

3. Plumbing
    Type of piping in house
    Any visible leaks
    Water heater: Date of manufacture or installation
    Any upgrades observed

4. Electrical
    Total amps_____________

Type of visible wiring in house

Is the wiring properly grounded (when required)?

Is there visible exposed or unsafe wiring?

Any upgrades observed:

The other thing that needs to be done is to change the home inspector licensing law to make home inspectors able to perform these inspections, without membership in an association or anything else. The fact that I am a State Licensed Home Inspector is good enough for the State of Florida, it should be good enough for the insurance companies.

looks good to me. That to is an example of a traditional 4 point inspection.

Everyone just remember to add a couple of pages of pictures. Take pictures of what you inspect.

Seriously when it is done like the above 2 examples with picts you will not have problems.

Oh wait, you may have problems if the thousands of other guys do not get on the ball and stop all mini home inspections immediately. You folks who are doing more than needed are causing agents and underwriters to expect that. It is not good for us or our clients. FACT.

I don’t know where I got this form from, I think from an insurance company, but here it is!

I have always used my own form. It was modeled after the automated form a NACHI member had made so it could be filled out online. It looks much neater and more professional than the NACHI form.

I know that a number of my inspections went to citizens and I have never had one rejected.

Not sure if the problem is on my end or not but I cannot view file.

You have to download it first.

Normally when I click on them it gives me the option it just flashes and does nothing. Probably something wrong on my end. I’ll reboot latter.

I agree the the four point has lots of room for improvement. Why don’t you gentleman ask the insurance companies what they are looking for and some data ta back it up(if they have it)? Then you could make an educated decision on what should be on the four point and how it should be written.

Because, 100 different insurance companies, 100 different answers. :mrgreen:
The whole thing should be scrapped because it is none of the insurance companies business if my home is upgraded or not.

The problem I have with all of these so called insurance inspections, which are in reality “income generators” for the insurance company, is that your premium is based on the replacement cost.

Let’s take FPE panels for instance. How many homes have been totally destroyed by a fire resulting from an FPE panel. Then, how many homes in a specific area do not have problems with these panels. Out of 10 million installed panels and let’s say for arguments sake, 1,000 homes were destroyed as a result of just the panel, what are the odds that a home equipped with that panel will be destroyed? I’d say, minimal at best. At the same time everyone else is still paying over priced premiums.

Insurance companies should be required to write homeowners insurance if they also issue auto, boat, etc. insurance.
All of the major insurance companies stopped writing after Andrew and then the four storms in 2005.

Of course, what happened to all the money they collected in years prior?

Then your argument should be about how they determine rates and how much, not what is on the inspection form.

If you did take a pole of the insurance companies you might find a pattern and then make an educated decision.

My argument is that all of the forms should be moot as nothing on them has anything to do with your rate, if it were calculated on the replacement cost of the home, which I know for a fact, mine is.

I have a friend who has been in the insurance business and has told me on several occasions that every form, survey, or any request for information is designed to do one thing…generate income for the insurance company. It is as simple as that.

So if
I have smoke detectors, fire hydrant, block house with GFCIs AFCI a new roof and nothing unsafe.

Someone else has a poorly maintained, cluttered home with No safety features at all

We should pay the same in insurance because the replacement cost is the same? Is that what you are implying?

I do believe the the insurance companies can and do raise rates based on the 4pt form. Given the facts on the four point let the insurance companies compete. If you do not have GFCIs or a fence around your pool I would charge you more for insurance to. Simply risk analysis.

Risk of what…as opposed to requiring total replacement of the home and that cost?

If house A has smoke detectors and
House B does not
Who is at greater risk of loss from fire?

A and B should pay the same, because the replacement cost is equal?

Apply this logic to most everything else:
Hot water tank
GFCI
Dog
Pool
unsafe wiring
Poor maintenance
ect

If the house burns to the ground, what is the difference?
The only difference is the possible loss of life.
Which isn’t covered.
You have made my point.

But it is more likely to happen, hence the greater risk

So is this:

Merry Christmas

I just received this from Citizens:

Dear policy holder,
We have been informed that every year from the first week after Thanksgiving until the first week after New Years, you have a natural Christmas Tree in your home. Unfortunately, due to the overwhelming evidence that individuals who have Christmas trees vs individuals that do not have Christmas trees are more prone to having Christmas tree fires, we are revoking your insurance until the tree is removed.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
We have attached the “18-420” form for you to fill out and provide pictures of the tree and its removal.

Too good!!

How about the letter I got from my Health Insurance carrier:

It has come to our attention that you were born - Since this will directly result in injury and illness and eventually cause your death, we no longer feel that we can accept that risk and are therefore cancelling your policy.

Here is my current sample form

http://honorconstruction.com/files/4pointInspectionformver3sample2.pdf

:stuck_out_tongue: