Franchise Training

Originally Posted By: John Fasano
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am considering the purchase of a franchise from A PRO and going through their in house training program to get started. If anyone has had any experience with A PRO or information about the quality of their training or franchises, I would greatly appreciate it.

I posted a similar message earlier as a reply instead of as a new topic, forgive me, I am new here.

Thank you,

John
New York

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Must be fairly new or kind of localized. Never heard of them here in the midwest.

Originally Posted By: tallen

me neither SW

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Thanks, I should have mentioned that A PRO is headquartered in New Orleans, LA. They currently claim to have 66 franchises. I will contact a few franchise owners directly to see how they feel about their training and their relationship with the franchisee.

Thank you,

John
New York

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Thanks Joe,

Is there an online resource that lists the the franchise opportunities available in one place to compare them. I have only come across 2 or 3 names so far. I have not contacted HouseMasters, but according to their web site, my would be territory already looks spoken for. The real estate agent that I spoke to locally does business them. I have also spoken to a franchisee for HouseMasters in upstate NY, he was very helpful and encouraged me to post on this site to get information.

Marketing support I understand, but what specific questions should I be asking regarding the type of technical support they provide, besides "what type of tech support do you provide".

Here is the link to A-PRO for anyone who wants to take a look, feedback will be appreciated.

http://www.a-pro.net/

Thank you,

John
New York

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

John, while I cannot advise you on the quality of education from any of the franchise organizations I would give you the following words of caution.

The state that you live in is one that is currently enacting an inspection legislation, and it is very likely that part of that legislation will be the requirement to have passed the NHIE exam, dependent on your existing experience you may find this a relatively hard exam to pass, therefore you should perhaps be looking at a home inspection franchise that offers a very comprehensive training package geared towards passing the NHIE exam.
I would hate to see any businessman buy franchise in a licensed state only to find that within a short space of time that the training provided by the franchise is not up to the standards required by the state. I know that all of the franchise organizations offer inspected training as part of their package but I for one would find inconceivable that someone from outside of the industry or the related trades could be taught how to pass the NHIE exam with the typical one-week training packages provided by most of the franchises.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Thank you both very much. I was ready to jump head first into this industry but I have been given some important issues to think about.

The first issue is, after I complete 10 days of training will I be able to do a competent inspection. The real estate agent I spoke with told me that the home buyers in the area I am planning to target are very educated people who ask a lot of questions during the inspections.

Secondly, I have no training in this area. Some of the posts I read blasted people with no prior experience for trying to get into the industry. "We hurt the industry and cause insurance costs to go up". From my personal experiences, I feel that I do have a basic background that would help me in my training. My question is, can I use the NACHI Free test as a guide to my abilities in the industry. I have taken the test once and scored 85 correct answers out of the 120 for a failing score of 70. First time out of the box I feel this is a good sign. What are your thoughts on this test.

Thank you,

John
New York