Franchises

Originally Posted By: ccoombs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The January 2005 issue of Entrepreneur has their Franchise 500 list. This is who and how the rank them:

86 Pillar to Post
102 AmeriSpec
171 The Home Team
176 World Inspection Network
185 National Property Inspection
223 HouseMaster
235 The BrickKicker
372 Allstate HI
403 Inspect-it 1st Property Inspection

I thought it was interesting to see the startup costs ranged from 15k to 65k. That seems like a big range and high.

Originally Posted By: jcampbell

NPI ran about 19k three years ago and I was very happy with the training, the electronics package, tools, marketing materials, reference materials, etc… when all combined, what i got in return on paper was worth the monies paid in… The do not make any money off the sale of their franchise… they make their money off the royalties after you start producing. Their support staff is excellent from the computer guy, the tech guy and marketing department. True it is tough paying royalty, but in the end I believe it is worth it… icon_lol.gif

Jeffrey S. Campbell

http://www.maineshomeinspector.com

Originally Posted By: mpasquinelli

I owned a franchise at one time and can honestly say that not being part of the franchise is the best thing to happen to my business. Once you factor in all of the inflated costs for binders, marketing materials, royalties, etc, they get in excess of 15% of your income. I was sending a serious check every month. Not to mention the limits they put on the kind of business you can conduct. Franchises offer very little for the big investment and on going expenses. You rent a revenue stream with a franchise, not build a sustainable business.

Originally Posted By: jcampbell

I must say each franchise is different and I shopped for the best! The marketing materials (brochures etc… ) are top notch and cheap! I want to say 7-10.00 for 50? high gloss brochures… binders very cheap as well… they buy bulk and pass it on… but no one says i have to use theirs either… they are continuously working on upgrading software with no technology fee that some others charge… I can see where some would have negative feedback, because when i looked at some, there were fees for everything… so far, very happy here… icon_wink.gif

Jeffrey S. Campbell

http://www.maineshomeinspector.com