From Million Dollar Estates to the GHETTO!!!!

Justin,

Don’t know about LA but in Santa Barbara, before a property can change hands, a city inspection must take place. I think the cost was a couple hundred bucks. (Expedited) This inspector brings out the last set of signed off home plans and checks the current floorplan and information against them. With all the remodels that have happened, many were done without permits. The city will refuse any attempt at filing new ownership records or deeds without this special inspection report signed off. Of course that means if there was a remodel or change, you now have to get the appropriate building permit after the fact (quite expensive) and have the property inspected by the city building inspector. If that means tearing down drywall to see plumbing, electrical or whatever else they want to check on…down it comes. You don’t have a choice and there is no appeal. And the inspectors come with a chip on their shoulder cause you tried to slip something by.

I guess that comes with the territory when a 800 sq ft home sells for $950k +.

In Manhattan, it would be $1.6 million with $2000 monthly maintenance.

That’s interesting. I make a point of obtaining as much information as possible on Cities/Townships where I perform inspections, and I have never heard of this for Santa Barbara. Can you provide me with some direction as to where this information is available?

Considering that almost 2,000 homes sold or transferred in 2005 in Santa Barbara, that is quite a workload for city officials.

I am aware of Santa Barbara’s “Assessment Practices” which require appraiser certification. Is this what you are referring to?

Hi Jeff,

This is something different. It is called a “Zoning Information Report” ZIR. I have attached a pdf file of the application. This is strictly within the city limits of Santa Barbara, not unincorporated county or Goleta. I think it is self explanatory but if you changed your floor plan or added on or converted a garage, they will catch it and then you get to open your pocketbooks. I guess they have to make up the Proposition 13 money somehow. :shock:

Steve

Thanks Steve. I appreciate the information.

Aaaack!

(damn coffee up the nose)