fryable asbestos

asbestos in friable condition most of remaining insulation the same owner removed the rest himself

I’ve been involved with asbestos abatement, and because of all the training, I’ve become paranoid about it. I was working in one house, and a home owner argued 'sure it looks like asbestos, but it’s not the dangerous kind." I couldn’t let it alone, I had to ask what was the dangerous kind? “Blue” was the response.

:frowning:

I hope he didn’t breath real deeply with the satisfaction of a job well done. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :cool:

What type of oil did he use??? I like my chicken fried in Crisco!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ohhh…you must *mean friable *!!! :mrgreen:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-friable-asbestos.htm

Jeff

I know crazy he just put it in a trash bag then out to the trash, we have a approved asbetos dump site here since john mansville used to mak it in this town

Dennis,

First I’m not a lawyer. Second, you might want to be careful what you put in writing.

tom

Jeff – That is funny.

Thomas – There is actually some significance in the response from the homeowner who said “it’s not the dangerous kind.??? What is not disputed is that there are indeed certain kinds of asbestos for which there are no known risks (other than the normal pneumoconiosis associated with breathing any kind of mineral dust).

Furthermore, it is fairly well accepted that the amphiboles (blue asbestoses) are much more carcinogenic and more directly attributable to pleural plaquing and asbestosis than are the chrysotiles (white asbestoses). There is considerable evidence that many of the chrysotiles may not even be significantly associated with either cancer or asbestosis. And there are some studies that sugest that virtually any material may cause mesothelioma on contact with the pleural or peritoneal mesothelium. Some of the studies on both sides are hotly disputed, with equal validity, depending on the risk models used.

The “nuts and bolts” side of the argument, however, in my opinion, is that in the insulation we see in the real world is frequently a mixture of various types, including the more toxic tremolites, actinolites, anthophyllite, cummintonites, etc, mixed in with the chrysotiles. Who wants to spend $$$$$$ on tox studies for a simple asbestos survey? No one. Therefore, all friable asbestos or PACMs, should be treated with caution, the specific toxicities notwithstanding. As such, during exposure assessments, we just lump all the asbestoses together as one.

Curiously enough, we don’t treat other silicatious minerals the same – for example, during exposure assessments for crystalline silica, we separate out the different silica minerals and treat them according to their specific toxicities.

Funny old world.

Cheers,
Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)
[size=1]AMDG[/size]

[size=2][/size]

Caoimhim,
Thank you once again for a very informative post. I always look forward to your posts as they cut through the fog of BS that surrounds so much of the environmental myths and lore perpetuated by the media and others. I have wandered around on your website for a couple of years now reading the very informative articles and data and have referred others to it when they come at me all “white eyed” in a panic with all their sweat pumps on line and running at top RPM, once they discover a mold (mould) in their homes. You have been a tremendous resource of sound and sane information regarding this very misunderstood discipline. Thanks again and look forward to any future posts.
Respectfully,

When I had my first asbestos class, I had an instructor that handed out asbestos (in a bag) and asked why was it dangerous? Say compared to inhaling sugar, or sand, both or which we understood shouldn’t be in your lungs. The list on the board grew:

1. Asbestos biological half-life is longer than any bad mark on your credit record. It’s imperiousness to the immune system and lightness make it idea for sticking around.

2. Asbestos crystalline structure makes it ‘spear/stab/cut’ almost soft lung tissue it comes in contact with. So regardless of the cancer potential, it can turn your air exchange tissues thick as shoe leather.

3. The biggest. We don’t know. Asbestos exposure takes so long to develop into something only a few things can get ‘assumed’ about its effects: it’s cumulative and it’s difficult to dissimulate between dangerous, and less dangerous asbestos.

Hard to believe the factors that we loved asbestos years ago, in-destructiveness, is what is making it so dangerous in our lungs.

There is no safe exposure level for people, so zero tolerance. Heck there seems to be no safe exposure level for Big-Macs, but we keep them around. :wink:

Warning off topic: Doug, ‘sweat pumps’? What was your Rate? :wink:

tom

AW (Aviation Anti-submarine Warfare) Yours?

MM

Our Sweat Pumps were always on the limiter.

Thomas,
I hear that! I made one and only one trip down into the bowels of the Saratoga for some long since forgotten reason and very early in my career (think I had to deliver something to or for DC Central). Never had the urge to venture much lower than the mess decks after that again. I salute you and all other Snipes for a thankless but important job. I was only on bird farms and did one short det on an LSD (Nashville) as a helo crewman.

I was nothing but bird farms, and , no offense, disliked chow-dales. Especially Grape-apes. They smell. I’ve outgrown my fear of brightly colored long-sleeved shirts.

:wink:

Tom – Thanks for your kind words.

And to both Doug and Tom- (and the rest of you Vets) – my personal and deepest gratitude and respect to you all for your service to our great Nation and people and your sacrifice.

Cheers,
Caoimhín

AMDG

I just got Class IV certified (took the class) this past week. The only asbestos that is present and isn’t bad is the undisturbed type. If it’s disturbed it’s bad! :twisted: That picture sure looks like the insulation is disturbed.

Kevin

What is class IV certification??

class IV means enough knowledge to be dangerous. :stuck_out_tongue: It involves learning about asbestos and its dangers. And allows you to work in areas where asbestos is present and may be disturbed. Class III mans you are trained to work in areas where you will be disturbing asbestos.

In a nutshell.

Kevin
</IMG>

What class do you have to be to remove it with bare hands, no mask, no suit, while smoking a cig and drinking a cup of coffee?

Yeah, I know it’s dangerous but I needed my coffee relagging a steam manifold.

:wink:

Caoimhin: I too look forward to your educational posts. If you could also educate attorneys the world would be a brighter place.