Furnace and water heater.... Venting

Bob I though you guys had this flue pipe pretty well surrounded. My opinion for what its worth I would have called it out as wrong little flue should have been on top but I would have performed a draft test with my little log starter so I could base my call on a safety issue because that little flue is going to back draft maybe not all of the time but its going to happen. As an old installer I just don’t personally like those Bull headed Tee’s on any kind of duct system

That was my also my thought. I have not seen this installation yet and the reason I asked if there was some sort of mechanism in the increaser.
Good thread, good lesson.

OK, thanks Charlie I was hoping you could give more insight as to any exceptions on the little guy up top rule.
I never thought about it before with lack of professional HVAC training but researching seems to show that with manifolds it is OK and the increaser is sort of a manifold effect.
Guess I will just call it out to be safe as I always have.

Bob I don’t research deep into the code and or rules when I make a statement it is from my past life and all from memory. If I make a call that I think is correct and someone can prove me wrong that is alright also.

The furance BTU was 80 Thousand and the water heater was 4 Thousand BTU, I did call for further review and if I hear back will certanily post what I hear, However thanks for all the imput !!

I was wondering about that too. My friend and I just installed a liner in his chimney to combine a water heater and a mid efficiency furnace. I swear I read somewhere during that job and the research we did on it that a wye fitting is recommended? required? for that setup. That’s what we used and all the wye fittings we looked at had the smaller vent on the side and the larger at the bottom.

wye insures 1/4 inch per foot rule is followed.

(correction) In response to Charlie I meant to say unsafe.