Furnace Defects Wiring/Gas

So…there was no elec disconnect for the gas furnace but as you can see there is some substandard wiring going on here as well as CSST entering the cabinet. Ive called both of these out as a defect, my struggle is how to report multiple defects within a defect?

I’m not sure what software you are using, but mark each defect as its own thing. does your software limit you to one defect per section?

1 Like

Paul,

FYI, that is not a CSST, it’s a flexible gas appliance connector.

I was corrected once, and I thought I’d share. Here’s a little more info:

QUESTION: What does CSST look like?
ANSWER: CSST is often coated with a yellow, or in some cases, a black exterior plastic coating. CSST should NOT be confused with flexible gas appliance connectors - the product that joins a moveable appliance to your home or building’s gas supply line

CSST-vs-Gas-Connector-440x214

8 Likes

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

1 Like

I use Spectora and no it does not limit me to one defect per section.

I use Spectora as well, I’m not really sure what your question is if that’s the case, write one defect as
No gas shut off valve.
One as
flexible gas line entering a furnace enclosure. (Over time it can rub on the metel and brake the gas line)
Anather defect as
Electrical wires need a bushing or clip of some kind, (I’m sure there’s a better name for it that I’m not thinking of) for the same reason.

Also, what type of room is the furnace in? If it’s in a living space, is that electrical wire rated for that? Does it need to be in conduit?

2 Likes

Either way, neither are allowed to enter the furnace cabinet.

6 Likes

I call it strain relief wire clamp. Kind of covers it all, lol.

2 Likes

You could say, the natural gas fired furnace had several deficiencies or concerns observed such as; Flexible gas line entering unit housing, no electrical wire strain relief clamp, no electrical safety shut-off device, no gas shut-off valve…etc etc. Then make recommendations.

3 Likes

I know this is months ago, but just reading this. Spectora is very flexible. You can list this as multiple defects or change your text to describe both defects in the same narrative. The impact on your report will be in the “counter” for number of defects – it will be reduced if you combine them.

1 Like