Furnace Problem Comments Welcome

Greg,

In this business if one is not offering unsolicited comments or gratuitous comments then we’re both in the wrong business. Its just part of the business to do so. There are no rules stating you cannot offer opinions, or opinions based on your experience(s) and or knowledge. Clients expect this and want this, at least in my experience. If you are not providing them with the info just what is one providing?

Cheers,

Hi Bruce,

I would assume the original HVAC company who found problem with leaking A/C pan. Also I forgot mention that I looked at original report and there was no mention of Home Inspection or “Flags”, was basically just quotes for replacing defective parts etc. So I would assume that HVAC person had lots to say verbally but did or would not include on his invoice. I find this is often the case of un-professional type service people, lots to say but never will put in writing.

This is the first time I have ever had to give any money back, and this does not even apply to my money-back guarantee! I do pride myself on the work I do and customer satisfaction is number one priorty with me, so even though no obligation to give any money, $500.00 is small price to pay for peace of mind.

Very informative post. Thank you very much, I will definately take your disclaimer into consideration on my own report in the future. I also intend to include this furnace info on my web site as I have permission from client to use pictures etc.

Thanks

You did not say but if you returned their money, did you get a release signed by the customer and ALL copies of the report back? That is a standard practice that some fail to do. This prevents them from coming back to the well again and again when future problems arise. Unfortunately some customers think if they had a home inspection done, that absolves them of any future responsibility and the HI has taken them to raise.

Hi Doug,

She had asked if I would honour my money-back guarantee, which is good for 30 days from date of possession, even though the time had expired. So even though I was not obligated to give them anything and I had this confirmed by HVAC tech who looked at pictures taken of furnace with A/C coil removed, I personally decided to give them $500 towards their new furnace. I have never had to refund any money or deal with any other complaint like this, so I consider this good business practice and investment in my future :slight_smile:

Regards

Its been said that the customer will likely praise your services as a result of your good will rather than complain about you to others. Looking at it that light, its beneficial to your integrity and reputation.

Hi Roger,
I am not questioning the decision to return some money, as that is a business decision best left up to you the owner of the company. Ive given money back twice in 14 years, and in both cases I too was not under any obligation but felt it in everyone’s best interest, particularly mine. But in both cases the homes were old and the clients did not do one single thing we had recommended. My returning the fee was contingent that they return all copies of my report and signed a release form breaking any future attempts by them to come back to me again and again. My decision was based on that premise, that the two clients in my case were too damned obtuse to understand they had some responsibility in the home ownership. I did not want any further dealings with them. In both cases they were more interested in getting the money in their hot little hands. Each case is different and a few times we have gotten calls where we pointed out to the customers in the report the very discrepancies they were addressing, they said they had either not read the report or just missed it. It is pretty hard to do since we detail the issues at least three times in each report. In the body of the report, in the summary of discrepancies and in the photos if applicable. I was just curious in your particular situation if you had done similar. Many new inspectors can learn some hard lessons from others who have been doing it longer and not have to learn the hard or expensive way themselves. Thanks for posting this story. I still learn things on every inspection and thru the tales of others.

Your right Doug, and that is one of the perks of this business, it is always a learning experience and this site is such a good source of info and advice.

Thanks

No one was talking about answering questions.

Someone was offering an opinion about that which they are not licenced, certified or qualified to make.

If you want to discuss things your not required or qualified to speak on, go right ahead. One time in court and you will quit those needless ancillary comments.