Gable wall question...

I have a few gable wall questions, appreciate any help:

1. If the elevation of a side of a house has a gable that is less than 50% of the length of the wall, but is taller than 4’ is it still considered a hip roof?

2. If the elevation of a side of a house is 50’L and there are (2) 15’ gables you don’t add the (2) gables together to make 30’? It would still be classified as a hip, because 1 gable is less than 50%? What is the gables were taller than 4’?

Thanks,

Jason

For the 1802, forget the gable height. Also, forget the elevation length. The roof shape has to be greater than 50% of any major wall length. Major wall length being any load bearing wall. If two 15’ ft. gables add to more than 50% of the total length of the (wall) in question, than the whole structure would be classified as “other” for question #4-Roof Geometry.

Post a picture. I do not agree that you can “add them together”. I believe that the rule is “the wall upon which it sits” Height is only a factor in bracing. Gables less than four feet in height are not required to be braced, length is not the factor on bracing.

Mitigation credits are provided for houses with a Hip roof shape. Determination of the correct “Roof Geometry” takes an understanding of the “rules” that apply. The OIR 1802 form say: *Porches or carports that are not structurally connected to the main roof system are not considered in the roof geometry determination. *It further states: *Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater than 50% of any major wall length. *There is no “Official” definition of major wall length so we use the definition that has been used for the My Safe Florida Home Program and the one that has been accepted by many insurance companies: The “50% rule” refers to teh relationship of the gable bottom cord length vs. the wall the gable is above and/or sits upon.

The predominate Roof Geometry, that which is greater than 50% of the elevation, should be selected for that elevation. If an elevation has a Hip roof and it includes a gble and the total length of the gable borrom cord is greater than 50% of the wall upon which it sits, the elevation is classified as Gable. An elevation that has a Hip roof may also have more than one gable. If the gable bottom cord of any ONE of the gables is greater than 50% of the wall upon which it sits the Roof Geometry for the elevation is classified as Gable. When more than one gable is located on an elevation the lengths of the gable bottom cords are NOT to be added together in order to determine the greater than 50% rule. Even if a gable is less than 4’ high at its highest point and the gable bottom cord is greater than 50% if the wall upon which it sits, the elevation is classified as Gable.

Elevations which have gables that are less than 4’ high and have gable bottom cord lengths which are 50% or less than the wall upon which they sit, are NOT classified as Gable.

Note: The above rules apply when Gables are encountered with other Roof Geometrys also.

Hope this helps you.

Gentlemen, Great discussion and validates the point I have been trying to make with the OIR for some time now. (Capable individuals with varying interpretations of how to complete the form) It is also refreshing to see professional technical discussion on this site for a change. Back to my point. I attended the last meeting at the OIR regarding the recent changes to the 1802. There were multiple engineering firms in the room as well as insurance company presidents, contractors, Citizens reps, me, etc… All very knowledgeable people. The thing that I found most interesting was that everyone had their own “in house” training for their staff and field inspectors- each with their own interpretation of how to complete the form. The insurance industry wants our heads on a plate due to inconsistencies, incompetence, or outright fraud completing the forms. There is literally hundreds of millions of dollars at stake to the insurance industry as a result of the 1802 form. I suggested that it would be difficult to hold anyone accountable to a standard of practice when there is no standardized training. The only way to improve consistency completing the form is with mandatory standardized training for all individuals completing the form (translated as contractors must take the training also). Until that is achieved, the wind mitigation program will continue to have problems. Steve Taylor Taylor Inspection Services, Inc. Atlantic Beach, Florida 32233 904-206-0370 www.taylorinspectionservices.com

I think the State should provide a phone number or website where we can ask them questions and get definate answers. I think the new form is going to make everything harder and surley not solve anything.

So it seems like there is no definite answer on this subject so far???

Is there a date on when the new form becomes active?

Thanks,

Jason Horrocks

I think the main intent of the new form is to limit the blatant fraud that may have occurred. Although the changes may help limit fraud. I don’t think that the state, the OIR, or anyone else can legislate ethics or morals. Steve Taylor Taylor Inspection Services, Inc. Atlantic Beach, Florida 32233 904-206-0370 www.taylorinspectionservices.com

No one has yet determined the authoritative manner in which this form should be filled out. That is because no one wants to put their head on a chopping block. OIR developed the form with the aid of engineers, contractors, insurance co. reps and the WCE’s from the MSFH program in conjunction with federal officials of the my safe home program. OIR has changed the form now but has never given any instruction to anyone (from the beginning) about how it should be filled out. The 1802 was issued as a part of the MSFH program but the form is not and never was a part of any instructional materials from the state.
Gables are other if they are gables greater than 50% of the legnth of the wall section on which they are supported by, height of the gable has nothing to do with it. If they are less than 4’ in height they are properly braced as the code does not require bracing.

Your’e interpretation is Soooooo wrong. It won’t help anyone.

Still there are other issues that the form does not address even after all the experts got together and redid it. What about gable ends that are sheathed with materials which lack impact capacity? I am aware that there were many smart people that got together to hash this out, I’m just sorry they all turned their brains off while doing it.

But, still don’t know if a wall has two gables do you add the total bottom chord together to see if it is under/over 50%, even if neither gable is over 50% of the wall length?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,
You do NOT add the two bottom cords together. Follow the guidelines I wrote about in my previous post.

Post a picture