Garage door disaster ready to happen

I found this yesterday. The center support for the garage door opener was loose and held in place with two bent nails. Talking about a disaster ready to happen.

With the torsion on that spring you would have thought it would have already let go. That is a ton of pressure for those two nails.

I agree ! I pulled the plug on the opener and told both the client and the realtor not to open that door until that was fixed.

Looks like they’re getting ready to have a very exciting event.

Great catch Roy.

How long are the lag bolts in the bracket? It also looks like there is a lag bolt next to the bracket. The nails were probably used to hold the block in place while the installer drilled and bolted it. A lot of guys don’t remove the temp nails. I think it’s much ado about nothing, or else it would have failed already.

Alarmist

Since 1992 …Nope!
Are you telling me that you would lets this go by?
Hell NO! I have seen this as a very great safety hazard.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/L5JUpMKHlxyUW85_xEiRAoxHnLkVWjOF-L0I7TfB0gst7YNS-XDkjBfq9ABnK0WExSgDvMnP0xCBr0XmQLpzlpqgdpmaSlFLuYJB3QEaaHsRYfkQeg2r4x0E87kfDeXl8JFWmgQ2

Without seeing the lags behind that board and knowing what they are screwed into, I couldn’t argue either way.

The only thing confidence inspiring in what I see is the cobwebs and apparent time that it has survived the way that it is. I don’t think I would declare that I was saving lives by calling it out - we reserve that claim for bubbles on outdoor gas meters.

Now, now, just because you got the Gerry B Award doesn’t mean you can pull the plug!
They have two (2) nails holding that plate and its not going anywhere…

LOL!:smiley:

At least it’s an easy fix.

Gently tap in with 2lb hammer.
Get a hammer drill and pop in a couple of lag bolts.

Pull the plug? Isn’t most of the stress on the side brackets? If that came loose it would just spin a little till it stopped.