Garage Door Opener July Changes

Battery back up will soon be required on all door openers. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB969&fbclid=IwAR1qWVR-R3p0oUoe8Wr0sHU4sinzJY0-a0QCq1AAga9v0gTZFSPO-PVD08I

1 Like

Good info, Scott. Thanks…California, of course…:smile: :crazy_face: :upside_down_face:

Have people over there gone so stinking lazy that they can’t pull the garage door pull cord on the opener and open the door by hand? And leave the car outside until the power comes back on if you are already outside. Shish !

I’ve done a few inspections where they had to give me the code for their opener to get in because they didn’t have any keys to their doors. As long as they’ve lived in the house they always came in through the garage,

1 Like

That’s funny! :grinning:

Interestingly funny. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Quite the coincidence. I just came from my 89 year old Dad’s house. His opener is broken, and he didn’t know how to open it. He was very thankful that I was able to open it.
Some people just don’t know.
California has a full-time legislature performing a part-time job, so they need to try and keep busy. Unfortunately for us, they keep busy creating laws that we don’t really need for the most part. And they love to spend OPM.

So an opener isn’t required…but if you put one in… in California…it has to have battery backup…California logic is always a bit different isn’t it…

Yep, that’s the most stupid thing I ever heard. You’d think there are better things to spend time and money on than that. :grinning:

Even more funny if you would park the car in your attached garage than walk outside, close the garage and walk to the front door 50’ .
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Interestingly funny if you be using front entrance and park car in attached garage during heavy rain.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The idea of a battery backup could be good for people that park in garages and may not have the physical ability to open the door manually if needed. That said, the idea that is will be a requirement is a bit crazy. CA legislators keep adding regulations that add to the cost of homes and then complain about home affordability. This state is getting crazy.

Sad! Funny. Seems somebody in the legislature has too much time on their hands. It’s a solution waiting for a problem.

Yes it is :roll_eyes:, but I’ll leave politics to the NFE forum section.

Not to mention the battery will need to be replaced every 1-2 years, and most folks won’t do that.