Garage Door Openers

I’m well aware of that.

Odd because when I stood at the Garage door, I could not see the Operating Button.

Then why ask the Question?

Reread the original post where the question is asked. You should be able to find the answer.

It’s possible to have a window, as you said

And where was the last Fire Door that you Inspected with Fire Rated / Wired Glass found in a Residential Home?

I have seen 1 in over 12 years…

(this was not it… :slight_smile: )

I believe it would be possible to see a fire rated window in a garage door, but highly unlikely Chris.

On another note, all of the Installation Manuals I have looked at clearly show the Control Button Inside the Garage next to entry door.

Myself, I read “Within Sight of the Door”, to mean just that. You need to clearly see the Control Button from the Door.

I agree, that’s why I voted yes, yesterday, one of the first to vote.

I am sure the Installation was

• Municipally Permitted,
  • Builder / Contractor Installed,
  • Municipally Inspected and Approved…

:slight_smile:

Can you see if the door is clear of people, pets and obstructions and can you observe it through the full closing cycle from the location of the button?

If yes, then the location is fine.

I see English Comprehension is once again lacking on the MB…

“Within sight of the door”… does not translate to… “clearly see the Control Button from the Door”. It is not even close to the same thing.

Who cares if you can’t see the button from the vehicle door? You can’t close the door from there anyway. I’m sure even if the button was in it’s “traditional” location, I could sneak around to find a way to “not” see it from the vehicle door. Think about it. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Every single time
A month or so ago, I inspected a large and expensive home with one of those very heavy garage doors.
When operated by the opener, the door opened fine as the top panel was pulled away from the wall and spring.
When manually released, the top of the door would bump into the spring and not open. It was impossible to pull the top panel away from the wall to clear the spring, therefore impossible to manually open the door.

Possible low clearance track design. Recommend a Professional Door Intaller to repair. :slight_smile:

Jeffrey, we disagree, which is fine.

As I said earlier, none of the Installation Manuals I have seen show the installation anywhere except inside the Garage.

If you have some other information please post it.

It would be ludicrous to have an illustration for every possible location that it could be mounted at. Your theory would indicate that it is not permissable to mount the button directly next to the vehicle door, even though that location would give you the most extensive view of the door as it closes!

This is from the Genie Manual… http://www.geniecompany.com/data/products/genie_owners-manual_eng.pdf

Wall Console
Operates door opener from inside garage.
The wall console has an indicator light with:
Open/Close, Sure-Lock™, and independent
light control buttons.

On a side note, I post these questions with the intent being to generate discussion among Members and share information.

Those are “Product Features” not installation instructions.

On a side note, I respond to these questions being to show opposing viewpoints to stimulate conversation amongst Members sharing information. :wink:

???

Not from days past…
“Within sight of Door” is still included in the Installation Manual of most Motorized Operators / Manufacturers which exceeds and supersedes Building Code…

Maybe you believe to be outdated…
however …
still required…

From the Genie Manual that you posted…

Page 16

[FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Blk][size=4]WARNING[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Cn][size=2]Use of any other wall control can cause unexpected operation of[/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Cn]the door and loss of lighting feature. Locate wall console within[/FONT][/size]
[size=2][FONT=HelveticaNeueLTStd-Cn]sight of door and far enough from door to prevent contacting it
while operating the console. Control must be at least 5 feet above
floor to prevent small children from operating it.

**“Within sight of Door” **
Not Door within sight of Switch…

there is a difference…[/FONT][/size]

Thanks to all for more info about garage door openers.

1 Like

What the heck… No one talking politics?
Geese Louise mate… don’t Tase me bro, I don’t know…

so random… lol