Garage Fee

Originally Posted By: Mike Monstwillo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is an unattached garage generally included in the inspection or should there be an additional charge?

Mike Monstwillo

American Home Inspection

Cedar Lake, IN

Originally Posted By: dbush

Mike, if there is electrical to the detached garage or they would like the roof inspected then yes I charge additionally. It is extra liability as well as extra work.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

DELETED

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: mrose

Gentlemen,

Most professional HI organization standards include 1 garage with the main dwelling in the scope of the inspection. Don't let greed get in your way of being a professional.

It is better to increase your inspection fee structure than to start adding extra charges for garages, crawl spaces etc.

Just my opinion.

Best regards,

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mike,

I tend to agree with Joe H. The one inspection I performed has a detached garage. Is what they did not tell me was that it was turned into an apartment with all the fixings. Better to let them know up front that surprise them later. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: mrose

This is expectation management.

I have inspected houses with 2nd kitchen, in-law and outlaw sweets that were not revealed when the inspection was being booked. This lack of information prevented me from being able to correctly price the inspection. It is very difficult to increase the cost of the inspection at the 1st meeting with the client onsite. They want to pay what was quoted. Even if they do agree to an up charge they are not happy and you have injure if not killed a future referral source.

In conclusion, my position is and remains that 1 garage, attached or detached, should be included in the "basic" inspection package.

Everyone has the right to operate their business as they choose.

As professional home inspectors, we all want to be fair to our clients and we want to be properly compensated for the work we do.

To quote Forest Gump, "and that's all I have to say about that".

Best regards,

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mike,

On the other side of the fence there has been circumstances when the garage was not included in the basic inspection and I simply asked the client if they would like it inspected in front of the agent for the additional fee. Most take me up on that offer and ask for that garage to be inspected.

I always make sure that I state to them that was a good choice when the agent is standing next to them. I want the agent to hear me say that because they realize I am a business man that has to make a living also. I then proceed to tell them what I see that is wrong with it, just on the outside having not stepped into the structure at that point. Most are impressed to say the least.

It is always much more than the fee I charge to inspect it. Since I say this in front of the agent they are all aware when I state something like that I see major problems and they are a witness that I offered to inspect the structure with them present and I clearly made it the clients choice to inspect or pass. In doing it in this manner you must consider that the agent now thinks of me as a smart inspector because it will release them and me from any liability for repairs.

Pricing the structure separate gives you the room to include it if you find it was an easy inspection. However should you include it and it turns out to be more than you expected you get screwed every time, like the apartment (garage) that I did not get paid for. When you exceed your client's expectations you will always be complimented on the good job you have done and that will bring referrals. Try falling short of those expectations some time, I am certain you will end up court being sued.

Joe Myers