Garbage disposal

I agree.

My wife disagrees with the bold. :mrgreen:

I perform the GD inspection the same as Joe in post 16. Seen quite a few bad connections for electric and leaking.

What ever you do do not put artichokes in there, a friend of mine did that at a dinner party one time, WHAT A MESS:D

Why are you guys testing small appliances???

I only flip the switch to the disposal to make sure it has power to it.

agreed!:slight_smile:

If I can, it gets tested with ice.

If it works, it works.

If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work.

If it breaks while running, it failed during testing. :wink:

I just carry 5lbs of rhubarb stalks around with me (Celery works just as well) and force feed them down the machine in under 2 mins, if it clogs I write it up.

Funnily enough I have not seen one pass in over 10 years.

Regards

Gerry

What a waste of good rhubarb for pie making.

For the same reason I test the bathroom exhaust fans, overhead lights, garage doors, permanently installed microwaves, ovens, etc. To provide a quality service to the client. The garbage disposal is a permanent fixture in the home…it isn’t a portable appliance, which one could be excused for not testing. If you’re not testing the disposal, you’re not providing a quality home inspection. That statement makes me wonder what else you don’t inspect.

I hate Rhubarb, frankly I’m not that keen on Celery either, what do you use Michael?? :wink:

Regards

Gerry

Funny! :slight_smile:

Here this last year or so, I’ve been printing off about 90% of the posts on this board and using those for the garbage disposal test.:slight_smile: Those seem to clog the device as well though.

I make rhubarb pie and like celery in soup or with some blue cheese dressing.

I just run water and listen to the disposal and see if the cutter blades are intact.

Funny!:slight_smile:
You might try printing posts off this board and using those instead.:stuck_out_tongue:

Worth repeating!

What made me think of this is, not too long ago, I got one of those microwave testers from NACHI, and it’s actually come in very handy - not to mention the “Ooooohs and Ahhhhhhhs” from the client and realtor - when the lights come on in the microwave.
But I was testing those, but just turning on the disposal to make sure it was powered. Then, one of those - it had power and I could hear it run - wasn’t working at the client’s final walkthrough… I know that DOES happen, and the client knows that as well - it’s a 30 year old house, but I want to test it better in the future.
Gerry - where do you get your rhubarb? Maybe I’ll just carry a lemon around - give it that lemony-fresh scent!

FYI: neither the plastic mirco testers or tribbles fare well when put in the disposer…don’t ask how i know this…just trust me on this one…also check before you turn on owner’s kitchen ware doesn’t survive well either…new builds, screw, nails, tile chips and drywall compound makes a real racket

When Rhubarb is out of season, try the TORONTO STAR. If it will digest that then it will digest anything!!

Disposal is required in Texas to be inspected.