Gas Fire Places

Originally Posted By: rsummers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I had a crew replace a gas fire place today on a home that had a fire place from hell. We could never get the thing Function properly so we pulled it. The new fire place had fan package option that would allow heat to be transferred to another room. I had no problem with that but it also showed a detail where you would hook a duct from the R/A of the heating unit to the fire place. I told the owner I would not hook the fire place to the furnace no matter what the instructions said. The furnace was in the attic and the system was filtered at the grills for one and the air that is drawn around the fire box passes over the gas flex and valve. Has any body ever ran in to a fire place with this type of air transferee? I don’t think the furnace manufacture would want it done but I didn’t call them.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Rolland,

While I have never heard of anything like that, I believe you made the right choice. Some good common sense goes a long way. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I would be interested in looking up this particular model, if you have the manufacturer and model number handy, could you please pass it along?

Thanks,

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Rolland,

Here is my guess: The return air connection did not pass air through the firebox but around the firebox.

Like those Heatalator types which had circulating air go from vent to vent through a double skinned unit, taking heat from around the firebox but within an outer enclosure, and recirculating it (either by gravity heat flow or fan forced) back into the room.

IF the heating chamber is sealed from the firebox, there should be no problem. BUT, what if something happened to that seal? Then it would be like having a cracked heat exchanger on a gas furnace ... NOT GOOD!

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: rsummers

The fire place was a Heat N Glow M#6000TRXI-IPI. It draws the air around fire box not thru it . I wonder how long it would take to plug up the evaperator coil on the furnace not having the air that is drawn thru the fire place filtered?