Gas Fireplace Question

Originally Posted By: wdecker
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

what are the safety issues involved with gas (either gas log or wood burning) fireplaces. I run into a great deal of new construction where they install a pre-fab gas fireplace and there is just a removable key handle that one turns to start the gas and light it manually.

I would think that it would be really unsafe to have such a fireplace with no safety gas shut-off, like a thermocouple or some such. As it is, one could just turn the key handle and walk away without lighting it and either gas yourself or blow up the house.

Kids are curious and could turn this on.

Any standards? What about just plain safety issues. I called it out as unsafe and, at the least, asked that the buyer remove the key handle when the fireplace is not in use.

Comments?

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: John Clayton

It would be nice to see a picture of what you are describing. Sight unseen I would first just think you are looking at a gas fired log lighter used in a solid fuel fireplace. In that case there is nothing wrong with the installation you described, but yes the key needs to always be removed from the valve for safety. Thats why it is removable to begin with. As far as safety… The log lighter is no more dangerous than the kitchen stove that could also be turned on but never ignited (IMO).

Now if what you are seeing is acturally a gas appliance installed in a fireplace insert and they have fake logs but the unit does not have a built in pilot assembly with flame safeguard devices I would say it is not approved. All gas burning appliances installed in a fireplace insert should have a rating plate/ manufacturers label and have the proper ANSI approval. Which I do believe requires the pilot or other direct ignition device and safety device.

The unit is a gas log lighter (although the enclosure has no cleanout trap) but the buyer says that he would never burn wood in it and just buy a rock or lava log.

That's why I told him to be REAL careful. He also has a very curious and smart little (4 years old) girl who acts a great deal like I did when I was her age. If this holds true, she will try to burn the house down at least 2 times in the next 5 years.

I get really scared with installations like this when there are kids in the house. It is just too easy for the parent to forget to remove the key.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

Originally Posted By: John Clayton

Then the log lighter needs to be removed and an approved gas log set installed. The gas log set has to be rated for use in a wood burning fireplace as there are differences in the log sets for vented, non-vented and sealed fireplace inserts. The gas log sets that are for use in wood burning fireplaces usually come with a little clip that holds the damper open a certain amount. And of course depending on the location of the fireplace in the house, it could need to have combustible air provided to it. The gas log set can be installed directly to the pipe the log lighter is connected to and use the keyed valve for the shut off. THe log set will most likely have its own gas valve with thermostat and piezo igniter, sometimes oxygen sensors…

Thanks. I will so inform my client.

Will Decker

Decker Home Services

Skokie, IL 60076