Gas Range???

I inspected a gas range yesterday, and while the burners were operating, my carbon monoxide detector went crazy, reading up as high as 122ppm. What may be the cause of this reading, and what may be required to prevent it again?

Tyrone, maybe thats why we all get tired on thanksgiving, that turkey being roasted in the gas oven.:neutral:


CO is also a fuel in and of itself… in fact up to half of the natural gas used as fuel to feed a stove may be carbon monoxide!

CO can be produced when burning any fossil fuel: gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil and wood. That’s why your CO detector gave you a warning sign and that’s exactly why they say that you should never use the stove or oven to heat your house. The only tool I utilize around a stove is a TIFF 8800A. And I only break that out when I smell gas. Try to keep the CO detector away from the stove.

To avoid massive CO build-up, homeowners should have all stove burners cleaned and adjusted to minimize the amount of carbon monoxide produced in a home.

I keep a CO detector right next to my gas stove. It has never gone off.

CO may or may not be in a natural gas line, I don’t know, but I do know it is not a fuel. You cannot burn CO.

Depending on the source of the natural gas it is typically made up of 84-96% Methane


You can’t? You’ve got some learning to do.

Do yourself a favor. Please go to the following site and read the description of CO. And then tell them the same thing you told me (that you cannot burn CO).


Thank you

Think about it, CO is an incomplete burn of any material containing carbon, Right?

So any small portion of this incomplete gas (that goes into the air that you are breathing) would be flammable. Right?

CO is considered leftover from the incomplete burn…It’s Flammable before it burns but (you’re saying it’s not) after the burn? Sounds Logical Right?

I was wrong. I never knew that.

It’s Sunday afternoon. Had a good crow lunch. Man was it tasty.

CO is going to be present when ever any fuel is burned. to get an actualy reading of the “danger level” you first need to make sure the range hood is vented to the outside, and working properly. then set your CO detector about 6’ away and take a reading after using the stove/oven for about 15-20 min. if you set it right over the burner, of course you’ll get a danger reading. put it in the tail pipe of your car and see what you get. but yet you still drive it everyday. the point is that if the system (hood included) is working as it should, you won’t have any dangerous issues.

The directions that came with my co detector specifically state to not use less than six feet from any gas burning device, if from that distance you are still getting high readings, then you need to determine if the venting is proper

Carbon monoxide forms from the incomplete burn/combustion of any fuel source. The more ineffecient the burn the higher the carbon monoxide volume in the exhaust. With regard to natural gas, if the burn is so week as to allow fuel to attach itself to the carbon monoxide exhaust, it can indeed be combustible away from the given appliance and or heat source…