Gas unions

Marcel;
A gas PAC as we refer in this area is simply a combination heat and cool unit sets external to the foundation on a pad and the supply and return air plenum’s pentrates the foundation stem wall into the crawl or can travel up the gable ends into an attic area enclosed in a fur down made to look like a chimney. Also used in light commercial as a roof top unit.

We here is this area do not install drip legs on units that are exposed to freezing temps because we have high moisture content in the gas supply and do not want any ruptured drip legs.
</IMG></IMG>

We here is this area do not install drip legs on units that are exposed to freezing temps because we have high moisture content in the gas supply and do not want any ruptured drip legs.
Thanks Charlie;

If that is the case how do you rid the lines of moisture? And how does this affect the efficiency of the units?

Thanks
Marcel :slight_smile:

Most of this state is in SDC 3 or 4 (seismic design category). Hard piping will almost always result in some type of failure in a moderate earthquake, usually at the fittings. Flexible connectors relieve the stress and allow the appliance to move independent of the piping.

Those look like “hoses” Marcel. Gas hoses are prohibited in CA except for specific applications. . .

Check out this website, in particular this article. Also go to the left side of the page and click on Excessive Flow Valve link for some explanation on seismic issues. Hope this helps.

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Plumbing/corrugated-stainless-steel-tubing

Its a trade off safety V/S maintenance issues would rather change out a gas valve than have to replace my home because it burnt down with me in it.

The volume of moisture in the gas supply here is cumlative over time does not have a tremendous effect of the efficiency of the appliance in the short term just long term.

On the other hand I have observed drip legs installed outside and have never observed one ruptured. Go tell I did not make the rule.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. We don’t have siesmic activity in my area so I never thought about it for that reason. We also do not strap the water heaters like I thing you do in your area.

EFV’s are certainly a good product, but they only function after there is a break or failure in the line.

Most jurisdictions in CA prefer to see flexible appliance connectors to minimize damage to the gas piping during seismic activity. The Greater Los Angeles Area goes even further and requires seismic-shutoff valves to be installed at the gas-main. These will close the gas supply to a home if there is a magnitude 5.0 or greater (light/moderate category).

Our state shakes every day to some degree http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/latest.htm

Jeff,
yeah, I know, spent some time out there near San Jose in 1984 (NAS Moffit Field). We had a couple “significant emotional events” while I was there. I would probably have to sleep with one eye open all the time. Valves at the Main is a good idea. Just wish I had been the one to invent them.

That sure sounds like an Airdale

Blackshoe

Guilty as charged. I was an ASW aircrewman. Went to Moffit to change platforms (Helos to P3) then I went on to Hawaii. Tough duty but someone had to do it.

Yes it sure was I spent 4-1/2 years in Pearl DDG-22 1964- 1968:mrgreen: Whoops a little off topic here guess someone will have to take my name away for that.

lol, now that is just weird. Some numbskull gave me a red square for my post. No signature of course. Must have been Army.:wink:

Thanks to the ex Army MP that posted to me. After I retired and went to back school one of my best buds in class was another vet, an ex Army MP. We used to snap each other’s garter just for sport. He went on to become a manager of a hugh Condo resort here on the Coast. I still run into him every once in a while. Your note reminded me I need to call him. Thanks

Absolutely Jeff,
with earthquakes a major concern a hard line would allow for a dangerous situation that a simple flex line would fix.

Hey Neighbor. . .

It’s been 110 degrees in Santa Clarita over the past few days. The desert must be blazing (not talking about the lightning fires). . .

lol…a second red square from another nameless and crotchless goober. This is pathetic :roll: but humorous. Pretty much confirms that some people just put red squares on those they do not like for no particular reason but lack the gonads to id themselves. You know who you are, thats enough for me.

Doug you should do like me I don’t even go to check my boxes don’t care one way or the other. Just a mindless game that some folks like to play they should go do more inspections then would not have time for childs play.

Charley,
Agreed!
Doug