GE 200 amp 4/0 alum main

Any issues with all of the spliced wires? They were done to hook up the generator. This is a 1978 home.

DSC061925920.JPG

DSC061905918.JPG

DSC061915919.JPG

55 views and no input.

Splices are ok in a panel, not really much choice when adding a generator panel.

thanks Bruce. just needed to confirm.

Did you comment on the other issues within the panel?

I did to a degree. Different brand of breakers installed, AC breakers are too large, no clearance in front or the sides due to cabinet, white wires being used as hot lines, antioxidant needed at mains, and wiring not done in neat workmanlike manner.

There is probably some more and that is why I am anxious to take your NACHI TV course I see that’s being put together.

Also noticed that the grounds and neutrals are on the same bus bar for a few of the wires.

I dont know that we covered any more than the issues you found. The video is not all encompasing so I am sure things will be left out…which is why I am doing a book and an article based thing as well…to ask questions.

Interesting enough…“antioxidant needed at mains” is not always the case. If the manufacture states that Antioxidant is needed then it must be used and the right kind must be used. Other than that it is not always required to have antioxident on service conductors even if aluminum.

**110.14 Electrical Connections. **Because of different characteristics
of dissimilar metals, devices such as pressure
terminal or pressure splicing connectors and soldering lugs
shall be identified for the material of the conductor and
shall be properly installed and used. Conductors of dissimilar
metals shall not be intermixed in a terminal or splicing
connector where physical contact occurs between dissimilar
conductors (such as copper and aluminum, copper and
copper-clad aluminum, or aluminum and copper-clad aluminum),
unless the device is identified for the purpose and
conditions of use. Materials such as solder, fluxes, inhibitors,
and compounds, where employed, shall be suitable for
the use and shall be of a type that will not adversely affect
the conductors, installation, or equipment.

If this is the main panel it is ok to have the neutrals and grounds on the same bar.
Only need to separate them if it’s a subpanel.

Are those different types of breakers (newer) allowed by the manufacturer? I wish I could zoom-in on those pictures, but some look like Square D breakers? I can’t see GEC. The wire nut connecting a black and white wire is a concern (near breaker #2). Is white wire being properly identified or used as a “hot”?

I’m sure he meant “same screw” not “same bus bar”.

Double lugging.

Check out http://www.nachi.org/electrical-panel-defects-challenge.htm