General Equipment Question

I am curious to know if inspectors who work for inspection companies, rather than as one-man operations, are generally required to provide their own equipment or not. I am aware there are probably as many variables as there are companies, but just looking for some general input.

I am working on my Florida license now and I don’t want to buy a bunch of tools/equipment that I won’t need if I join a company.

Along, the same lines, are you guys that are working with companies employees or independent contractors?

Thanks.

Matt, you answered your own questions.

2 Likes

(continued) …if you don’t get your license!!

1 Like

oh, I’ll get it. :grinning:

1 Like

Matt, think of it like this. Would you want to hire someone who is relying on the employer to supply all basic tools? Buy the basic stuff to make sure you can do your job to the best of your ability. They will usually provide the advanced stuff but tool belts, flashlights, circuit testers, pliers, drivers etc should be something you take care of. I have a basic list of items I can email to you that I’ve used for the last three years and are great tools at a reasonable price. If you want to be an inspector you can look me up and send me an email.

Hey Robert,
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I wasn’t expecting that I wouldn’t be providing any of my own stuff. I was just curious as to how things were done in this field. I would expect to provide my own basic equipment, especially PPE and such. I guess my OP was intended to find out from people who are working for someone else, or those who employ them, what the standard operating procedure is. Every industry seems to have their own “way things are done” and I want to prepare myself for whatever that is.

1 Like

As an employer, basic tools, camera, flashlight and batteries are on the inspector. We’ve found smaller items tend to disappear VERY quickly when employer-provided. It’s amazing how fast batteries require replacement when on the employer as well! We’ll provide major items such as vehicle, insurance, specialty tools such as the computer, software/subscription, anti-virus, thermal imaging camera, drone, etc.

1 Like

Thanks Nicholas,
That’s the kind of info I was looking for.

1 Like