General inspection question

You go out as a home inspector to do a home inspection and find the house is being built on an old gas station what is your response

recommend that the buyer obtain soil test results and reports on any mitigation performed if required from the seller or request that they be done before closing

Perform normal home inspection.
Fill up tank.
Get tires rotated.
Purchase pine tree air freshener.
Leave.

2 Likes

I built an office building downtown in the early 2000 and struck an abandoned 1000 gallon fuel tank still in the ground where the foundation was running. There was still some sludge in it and had to call Clean Harbors a Company to come clean it up and DEP got involved and opened up a can of worms.
But soil cores had been taken for the design and nothing had shown up as far as contamination.
The expenses to remove that tank were deferred to the original owner, but was no longer around.I believe the City had acquired the property by default of taxes a long time ago, so they ended up paying for the clean up.
There were records indicating a fuel station existed in that location many years prior.
So really, you can never be sure all was cleaned up when these stations move on. Regulations today are more stringent, but you never know.

Advise buyer to ask for “ No Future Action” letter from DEP.

Marcel is a wise person - and I can definitely agree with his “you never know” conclusion.
With that said: I find one of the most useful things about this forum is the frequent reminders from fellow inspectors TO fellow inspectors (myself included) to be honest, be informative, be consistent, but stay within your scope.
Many of us consider the SOP to be our minimum - but there are many sections of the SOP that all but beg to remain a maximum (IMHO).
SOP Limits Sec 2:

1. An inspection will not determine the suitability of the property for any use.
  2. An inspection does not determine the insurability of the property.
  3. An inspection does not determine the advisability or inadvisability of the purchase of the inspected property.
    I. The inspector is not required to determine:
  1. property boundary lines or encroachments.
  2. compliance with codes or regulations.
  3. the presence of airborne hazards…
  4. the existence of environmental hazards…
  5. any hazardous waste conditions.
    III. The inspector is not required to:
  6. research the history of the property, or report on its potential for alteration, modification, extendibility or suitability for a specific or proposed use for occupancy.
  7. determine the insurability of a property.

3. Standards of Practice Sec 2

The inspector is not required to:
3. inspect or identify geological, geotechnical, hydrological or soil conditions.
9. inspect underground items.

Say I twisted my knee, call the competitor i like the least and set them up as my back up. go home and chill

1 Like

right on lol

Thank you good info

Thank you for the information

Ok thank you for answering back

New Inspector here and my first post so Please go easy! I have an inspection on Monday for a multi-unit property with a 4 bedroom 2 bath structure under one roof, and second structure that is a duplex with two 2 bedroom, 1 bath units all under one roof. So looking for recommendations on how to approach the report: one report with two distinct sections, two separate reports, etc? I am using Home Inspector Pro softwear. Additional. the units are located on the same ground and with three separate power meters so I expect to see three main panels and no sub panels. Any comments are appreciated.

Open a new thread with a new title to more accurately reflect your situation. Yours is different from the OP and some will miss that and continue running answers to the OP’s question.

Hello,

I just came across this sensor located on the ceiling of a new townhouse. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks

Mike

Looks like the siren for the alarm system.

Yep!..