Geodesic Dome

Anyone ever inspect one of these? I haven’t seen it yet but I don’t think I’ll be able to get on the composition shingled roof but maybe from an upper level deck. I have no idea what the foundation will be like. Should be interesting.

Look real hard in the corners…:smiley:

And the attic right?

No roof structure ventilation megs shingles are likely to fit early.

Here’s an 18 sided home I did, not a dome but pretty interesting. This was on a slab and had an engineered truss roof with ventilation.

Not much different than inspecting a regular home.

DSCF8460.JPG

DSCF8442.JPG

DSCF8410.JPG

Cool!

This one is a little complex. I would decline.

PS. I don’t inspect straw bale houses either.

done numerous with most acceptable types of roof covering
ghosting & evidence of moisture intrusion isn’t uncommon unless recent lipstick on a pig has occurred
look closely around fnd intersection, any windows, doors, utility penetrations it’ll be rare not to find some evidence
depending on layout have binoculars or good telephoto cam for inspecting all ceiling & roof or have pole cam or 'coptor for ext

done numerous with most acceptable types of roof covering
ghosting & evidence of moisture intrusion isn’t uncommon unless recent lipstick on a pig has occurred
look closely around fnd intersection, any windows, doors, utility penetrations it’ll be rare not to find some evidence
depending on layout have binoculars or good telephoto cam for inspecting all ceiling & roof or have pole cam or 'coptor for ext

I would call this a yurt. Nice.

Yes the roof ventilation was my first thought. It seems they just completely filled the whole triangular shaped section with insulation. No ventilation.

Moisture intrusion was evident. It had these triangular shaped skylights that appeared well flashed but some of them had failed seals and the interior well area had moisture damage that seemed to migrate downward along the triangular frame behind the drywall. The biggest issue with this house was the deck that surrounded it at the second story level. The floor joist were extended through the wall of the dome for about six feet with supports under them, many had rotted at the exit point. Repairs were made by sistering new PT joists to the old ones (sometimes leaving the rot in the old joist) in some areas where there was enough joist to tie into. Some were cut off and new joists were hung on the exterior of the dome with no ledger or tie in to the inner floor structure. I stated that the repairs were substandard.

Where does it switch from R30 insulation in the ceiling to R13 in the walls??? :wink: (Southeast standards)