Getting a new website for your business

Originally Posted By: douglenn
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The following images were presented at the first meeting of the North Shore NACHI chapter in Meadville, PA on 11-15-03. Doug Glenn was the website designer giving the presentation and his business website is at http://www.season4design.com.

Following this presentation, the wife of the chapter president (Pam Seaholm) said how this was one of the lowest priced site building offers that she had seen. She was having a site built for her Pet Portrait business at http://www.PaintYourPet.com.

![](upload://sI1QYiLpfLOhmGzdPF1VNPuuL4S.gif)
![](upload://xujeFzTrhZQli5iP2yqi1C4u7D3.jpeg)

--
-> Doug Glenn

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Doug,

What do you charge for additional changes that will be made to the the web sites you design?

Joe Myers

Very small changes culd be done free of charge but changes that take a considerable length of time would need to be billed at an hourly rate. I just created a new Webmaster Service Agreement for the maintenance of sites that I have built. (this is so you can contract me to be the official webmaster for your site) The following URL describes this new agreement and “Option 3” service charges would apply here:

[url]http://season4design.com/webmaster-service-agreement.html[/url]

--
-> Doug Glenn ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Doug,

Not that I am being a pessimist or anything but say you have to do that 12 times a year (once a month), that is a considerable amount of money. Like an additional $500 a year, in addition to what they all ready paid for you to build the site.

Joe Myers

OK, let’s say that I spend a month building a website for somebody and charge them $500 for it and then once a month for a year afterwards I need to spend an hour or so making major changes to it. (kind of unlikely, but what the heck icon_rolleyes.gif )

For this 13 month period, the customer would be needing to pay me a total of $1000 in labor charges and then separately $10/month for the hosting charges.

I know that other site designers are either charging $1000 up front in labor charges OR charging less up front with $30 - $50/month in hosting charges. On top of that, the other site designers would also be charging an hourly rate for any changes needed to the site after it was built. (I've seen higher hourly rates than mine)

If you have some kind of a basis for comparison, I would be very eager to see what you are comparing my rates to. I am really trying to be fair about my charges. ()

--
-> Doug Glenn

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

NACHI will soon be offering a web hosting service to its members that will let them make their own changes to template or custom designed websites. Any feature will be possible. Standard features will include report hosting, online pre-inspection agreements, and online scheduling. I hope to offer much more.

Unfortunately I've hit a little glitch. With the current beta system, if an browsing client goes to inspector A's website, and then tries to go to inspector B's website, the client might (seems to be 1/20 chance) go back to inspector A's website again. It's not going to be too hard to fix, but it sets the release date back a bit.

If you can't wait a month or two, I offer custom designing. I have no base price, and specialize in websites that you can edit (so you don't have to pay someone $500/yr in updates). Feel free to e-mail me if you're interested.

Sorry -- just had to do a little self-promotion ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://23L2KcyiJ1KjGnqEscCSTyP8kqn.html)

Originally Posted By: rking

Chris,

Shameless, absolutely selfish ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)
But all that fun stuff sounds good, I knew there was a reason I was waiting to talk to you further about a website. I am planning on getting one up and running for April 1st to catch the wave.
Will you be ready then???
Do you need a scapegoat to try it on???

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: lschmid

I can attest to the quality of Chris’s work. He spent countless hours answering my questions and helping me design a web site the looks and works good. 1stchoicehomeinspection.com I really was and still am a novice on the computer, but he took all the pain out. I would highly recommend Chris eusa_dance.gif to help anyone with there set up and design.

Larry Schmid
First Choice Home Inspection

A SAFE HOME IS A HAPPY HOME

Originally Posted By: kluce

WOW! I didn’t know advertising can look so good and can be done like that on these message boards. icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: james stevens

hi cris how are u doin on the websites dezign i would like one set up also but am tight on cash let me know jim

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

James,

Unfortunately other projects keep pushing this one back, and some are arguing that I shouldn't do it at all. If you need something right now I'd recommend looking elsewhere... I can't really give a time estimate right now.

--
Chris Morrell
Director of Information Technology
http://www.nachi.org/

![](upload://23L2KcyiJ1KjGnqEscCSTyP8kqn.html)

Originally Posted By: rpierson

If anyone is looking for good Domain Names, Please contact me. I have a bunch of great domain names that I own. I can send you a list if you would like.

Originally Posted By: rray

The company hosting my web site, aprosite.com, charges me $599 per year and they do any number of updates any number of times.

I've been very happy with their response after the first year. I think they got started in business about the same time I got started in business, and their service was poor. I fought with them often. But I had paid for a year in advance to save $100, so I suffered through the year.

![icon_twisted.gif](upload://xjO326gspdTNE5QS3UTl0a0Rtvy.gif)

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: chet

I am process of going to ITA school and thought I would offer my services to everyone here.I host websites and when you order hosting tell me your a member here and I will give you 2 months free to try instead of 30 days.

Only 5.50 a month after that and I will build your 1 page site free.

www.hostamillion.com