Getting into the Business

Originally Posted By: Larry Stahl
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am seriously considering getting into the HI business.

I have been researching different schools and training programs, there seems to be several different certification programs out there. Very hard to tell from a beginners perspective which is the way to go. I have a few schools that have bubbled to the top of the list.

There is one in Las Vegas that sends 4-6 weeks worth of training before you go the class so that you can better prepared and 4 full inspections after the week long training class.

There is another in Utah that half of the class in in the classroom and the other is on actual mini-inspections (2 full inspections at the end of the class).

I do have some construction (framing) experience, nothing extensive.

I live near Sacramento California - I have not had any success in finding a running HI business to join for the first year or so.

I guess also a real key to success would be join one of the associations such as NACHI.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and experience.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Larry,

The best experience that I have found is the real thing. In the absense of real experience, I would opt for which ever method that I would learn from the best. With so many different manners of education available to individual inspectors ultimately you will have to make a decision which method will work best for you in your particular circumstance.

Which ever you choose make sure it is right for you.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Larry Stahl

I appreciate the replies, Thanks!