Getting paid at closing

I think most of them were purchased prior to me becoming an inspector. I’m also willing to bet that she did not have them inspected.

I agree, but my comment still gives you a quick reply to an asinine statement. Who cares if she loses money on the deal. NOT YOUR PROBLEM!

I had no problem sleeping that night.

I have done it for several years and never gotten burned. I charge a flat $100 extra to do it. But that still doesn’t make it a good idea

1 Like

Absolutely not, but at least your expenses should likely be covered.

If the realtor really wants that for his or her client, then have them pay the inspection fee, and then they can get their reimbursement at closing.

They don’t want it that bad.

2 Likes

To be honest, you have to do what is best for your business. I am sure you have insurance, licensing fees, and other costs to contend with. Can your business withstand waiting 30 plus days for an inspection you performed? Also does the realtor send a lot of work your way? I personally have taking payment at closing for a very large team of realtors. They have referred me many times to their clients. I have only once had to chase someone down to get me fees paid. I did get paid. The group also lets me know when a deal has fell through so I may then collect my inspection fees. The clients have been more than willing to pay the fees (except one). Some realtors in this group also flip houses. They call me when the want the inspection done prior to the home hitting the market. They also refer me out to other realtors. I am actually doing an inspection tomorrow for a realtor that they referred me to. So, I have a very great relationship with this group. They have always made sure I got paid either through closing or even if the deal fell through.

I was hesitant at first to agree to get the fees at closing, but for me it has been for the most part a great experience. As you can see, most inspectors will not do that, and I can’t say I blame them. They run their business as they wish and so should you. It is a risk to take to accept payment at closing. I must say as Larry posted, I do use the InterNACHI paid at closing document.

Good luck in your decision.

2 Likes

I do it on a case-by-case basis, but charge a “getting paid through escrow fee” that helps hedge my bet. On a week when I have people lined up that are willing to pay up front, it doesn’t happen. Nor would I make an arrangement with anyone to do it on a regular basis.

When I used to do it, I dont anymore… Get the title info and immediately send an invoice to the title company. When and if they close you will then get paid.

Said by someone you do business with who wants you to assume all the risk! (thereby limiting their own)

1 Like

Morning, Steven.
Hope this post finds you well and in good spirits today.
true no-money down experience? You know what you get for no money? Just listen to Trump’s no money experience.
You get what you agree to in life.

Reply, I do not charge until the inspection is over. I have living expenses. I guarantee, ‘if’ the client does not like my work, they get a true no-money experience.
Realistically speaking, I, you and everyone for that matter, has to pay their bills on time as will the purchaser. Once they pay by bank e-money transfer I will deliver them the report. Best I can offer BUT they, or YOU, have to sign the agreement. Make a provision in your PIA for realtor payments.

If my memory serves me well, Nick Gromicko accepted this type of payment agreement but he also dealt with reams of realtors when he started out as a home inspector. Yes,the groundwork for InterNACHI was Nick Gromicko home inspection days.

1: Insure you have an iron clad PIA, Property Inspection Agreement. Home Inspection Contracts for InterNACHI Member Use. Joe Ferry, InterNACHI inhouse advocate wrote the agreement. You will not find better.

2: Have the PIA signed before you start the inspection. The recommend delivery time, 72 hours prior the inspection if/when possible.
Bring hard copies with you incase the agreement was not signed or have a PC, tablet or Mobile phone with the document at the ready, but have it signed!

3: Payment. Typically/usually/normally the inspection fee is paid after the visual inspection has been completed. Credit Card, Cheque, cash or deferred to Bank money e transfer within 24 hours is acceptable.

4: No report without payment

Steven,
When there is money or politics involved never take things at face value. In this case, ask yourself what other reason the realtor might have for asking the Inspector a question like this.

Now, if you are in an area with a heavy military presence where people are being transferred in and out on a regular basis and you have some assurance of getting paid it is one thing.

On the other hand, the realtor might be looking at a less experienced Inspector and thinking, if this guy has some skin in the game he has an incentive not to write things up in a way that will kill my deals. I may be opening up a can of worms here, but IMO there can be a real ethical problem, or at least a conflict of interest for an Inspector to take a deal he has a financial interest in getting closed.

From the InterNachi Code of Ethics, 1 (6) The InterNACHI® member shall not: (a) have any disclosed or undisclosed conflict of interest with the client;

I permanently quit doing these during the great recession in 2008, when half the houses I inspected failed to close, and haven’t looked back. With the possible exception of military transfers as noted above, if the buyer can’t afford to pay my fee for an inspection they probably shouldn’t be buying the house to start with.

1 Like

We have done this in the past and it a real pain in the A$&. We usually charge an extra $100 for the inconvenience. As for your question of if the deal falls through we have the realtor sign an agreement that they will insure that we get paid either way.

I have a good realtor friend that I do this for. So far it hasn’t been an issue, but for other inspections like for sale by owner or some realtor I don’t know, I would do cash first.

Welcome to the forum, John have fun and enjoy. :+1:

Welcome to our forum, John Ezell!..Enjoy! :smile:

So what happens if the buyer backs out and there is no closing?

No.

We made an exception once. We had all the paper work. We still didn’t get paid until 4 months after closing, and it took calling the agent and client numerous times before we did.

It was a giant waste of my staff’s time.

You now find yourself in the “Collections” industry!!

Good luck with that.

1 Like