Getting started

Originally Posted By: thanigan
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As a newly licensed inspector in Illinois I am finding it difficult to get started. One of my biggest concerns is the first inspection. Any advice on how to get started or suggestions on getting ride alongs would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, T Hanigan

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Timothy,

Have you fulfilled these requirements, yet?

http://www.nachi.org/reportreview.htm

Strongly recommended and required step.

For ride alongs review the Find An Inspector section. Submit zip codes in and around your area to access the inspectors contact info. Hopefully their will be some considerate NACHI member that will afford you with the opportunity to "ride-a-long". If you for any reason run into a snag, please don't hesitate to post on this board for further help.

Come on Illinois members, jump in and help our new member.

Welcome to NACHI, Timothy.

Originally Posted By: rrenfro

Timothy,

As a new inspector myself, this is what I did.
First, I called ITA to see if they had any inspectors in my area who I could go on ride alongs with. They did. I paid 100 per inspection. He was not very busy, so I only went on 4, but it still helped.

Second, I knew a realtor who began throwing "easy" inspections my way. First one was a never lived in 2004 townhouse. Buyer was not there, I had the run of the place. Yesterday was a 1942 home, vacant and no buyer. Thur, I'm doing one that is also older, and the buyer will be there. This will be my first encounter with the buyer present.

This has been helpful to me. I would encourage you to inspect your home, your friends homes, parents, neighbors...etc. to get a routine down prior to your first inspection.

Good Luck,

Rob

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

to NACHI Timothy and Rob

--
Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: vdisciullo

Timothy,

I'm just get started also. I'm currently finishing up my mock inspections per NACHI requirements. I've done my own home, in laws, friends etc. This is a great way to get the ball rolling. I'm submitting the actual report format that I will use for clients. Fortunately I have a few realtor friends who will probably throw me a few bones to help me get started (ie. some vacant homes, mutual friends homes, first time buyers). I havn't really pressed the ride alongs so far as I have alot of ASHI guys in my area that have pretty much ignored my requests. Anyway, good luck and I'll definately look for posts that you have contributed.

Vince

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

to NACHI Vince

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: vdisciullo

Kevin,

Thank you.... such nice guys here