GFCI exceptions?

As you’ve mentioned those exceptions have been out of the NEC for over a decade, unless you’re here in NJ where a state amendment reinstated the exceptions as part of the adopted NEC. Many here have an issue with putting GFCI protection on a sump pump.

Ya, you guys are special :slight_smile:

N.J.A.C. 5:23, one of the worst documents ever written.

Our state specifically has an exception for the sump pump there has has to be another outlet with gfci though

That’s why I go through the trouble of reading my states legislation. Its very difficult to read the exceptions. You have to have the nec they are referring to side by side to compare. They only mention the code number they refer to in the exceptions. Don’t know how other states are.

SPS 316.210 Branch circuits.

(1) Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

(a) The requirements in 2017 NEC 210.8 (A) (7) do not apply to sinks located in kitchens.

(b) The requirements in 2017 NEC 210.8 (A) (9) and (10) are not included as part of this chapter.

© Substitute the following wording for 2017 NEC 210.8 (B): All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampre receptacles installed in the following locations shall have ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel.

(d) This is a department exception to the requirements in 2011 NEC 210.8 (A) and 2017 NEC 210.8 (A) and (B): Exception: Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection shall not be required for a single receptacle providing power for sump, sewage, or condensate pumps where an accessible ground-fault circuit-interrupter protected receptacle is located within 900 mm (3 ft) of the non-GFCI protected receptacle

Morning, Gentlemen and Ladies.
Hope this posts finds you all well.
The list below are not exceptions so you can derive any GFCI protection exceptions by excluding the list below.
Listed below require GFCI protection.
GFCI protection’ is required on 125V to 250V receptacles supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to the ground.
GFCI receptacles’ are required in Bathrooms, Garages, Crawl-Spaces, Basements, Laundry rooms and areas ‘where a water source is present.’
Hope that helps.
Robert

Dining is a new one to me.