GFCI near whirlpool

Gonna make someone’s hair curly. House built 1989 so does fall under the 1996 NEC change which prohibits outlets within the space of showers or tubs.

What do you guys think?

I think I will write it up as a safety issue but not a requirement based on the age of the home.

This will help.

I would agree with that. They will probably remove the plug and change it to a light with a pull chain.

And that would be safer?

Or replace it with a switch for the lighting fixture above…

Thanks all for your comments. There is no overhead light fixture served by this outlet. Instead, this GFCI feeds an outlet located inside the tub enclosure that provides power to the pump (which is not bonded, incidentally).

That’s not allowed either, at least in the U.S.A.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f19/52259d1328494279t-gfci-near-whirlpool-dscn2762.jpg
Or you sure this jet-tub/location install is original? It’s in pretty good condition, including tile, for 20 plus years.

Christopher it’s sarcasm.

For the most part, when it comes to electrical I don’t consider what year the house was built as compared to the NEC changes. It’s my butt on the line if something electrical kills someone. I know contractors sometimes argue against my reports by bringing that up and they throw around the “grandfathering” term. When that happens I encourage my clients to request a letter from the contractor stating “This issue is not a safety hazard.” As expected, they go ahead and fix it after that. :slight_smile:

Yes I suppose they would :wink:

I agree - I usually make a strong recommendation for safety when it comes to electrical issues. I might says things such as “while the home MIGHT not have required X when it was built, for the safety of the building occupants it is strongly recommended that you modify/install/upgrade blah blah”.

Just curious about the pump not being bonded, what do you mean?

Not allowed in Canada either; it must be a minimum of 3 feet from the tub.

Since it was said this GFI protects the tub, this should be changed to a dead-front GFI. Problem solved.

Marcel, in the NEC as long as the switch is outside the footprint of the tub or shower it would meet the code.

The bonding may not be an issue. Most tubs have non-metallic piping that does not require bonding.

Thanks for that.

Jim brings up a good point about the bonding. There’s quite a bit of confusion as to what is required to be bonded on a hydromassage tub. Often I see bonding jumpers from the pump to the metallic hot/cold water pipes supplying the tub. The NEC does not require this although the wording in 680.74 is a little confusing. It looks like the NEC CMP has tentatively accepted a proposal for the 2014 NEC to change the wording of this section to make it clear that only the metallic piping in contact with the circulating water is required to be bonded to the pump enclosure.

Good to know. Thanks.

CEC 26-700 general:
(11) Receptacles having CSA configuration 5-15R or 5-20RA installed within 1.5 meters of sinks, bathtubs or shower stalls shall be protected by a GFCI of the Class A type

CEC 26-710 General:
(g) receptacles installed in bathrooms shall, where practical, be located at least 1 meter (3.28’) but in no case less than 500 mm from the bathtub or shower stall.