GFCI outlet check

Originally Posted By: kluce
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve been doing inspections for a while now. I took the Ita in IL because it is required to get IL state licenced. The instructor informed us that we need to test the GFCI outlet by the push buttons and everything downstream with the GFCI tester plug. I asked why he didn’t test the outlet with the GFCI tester plug and he really didn’t answer the question. I cannot think of a reason why the tester plug cannot be use since you can plug external items into the outlet and the outlet should respond if needed.

Can anyone think of a reason why he would make that statement?

Originally Posted By: jpeck

kluce wrote:
The instructor informed us that we need to test the GFCI outlet by the push buttons and everything downstream with the GFCI tester plug. I asked why he didn't test the outlet with the GFCI tester plug and he really didn't answer the question. I cannot think of a reason why the tester plug cannot be use since you can plug external items into the outlet and the outlet should respond if needed.

You CAN test the GFCI receptacle outlet itself, BUT, the more accurate and reliable test is with the test button. So, your instructor may have been stating it like 'WHY would you use the tester on the GFCI device?'

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: kluce

I like to do both. I run into GFCI outlets where they test fine with the outlet button but not with my tester. I can guess why but not fully sure why this would happen.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

kluce wrote:
I like to do both. I run into GFCI outlets where they test fine with the outlet button but not with my tester. I can guess why but not fully sure why this would happen.

Is there a ground present in the device? The test button works without a ground but I bet your tester needs one.