Girder question

Hello,my name is Mike and I am currently doing mocks to finish up my HI schooling. This to me does not look right and I would like to know how to call this. If it looks wrong it probably is. Thanks for any input.

Mechanical connection at the (LOCATION) end of the support micro-lam beam has failed due to improper installation of mechanical fasteners. Recommend further evaluation by a qualified(some say “licensed” here) structural engineer and recommend all necessary repairs to preserve the structural stability of this framing.

Some may also say contractor rather than structural engineer. I tend to be more cautious. When in doubt, describe what you literally see.

Holes needed to be drilled to prevent cracking of the lam. This is a common mistake found in plywood connections also.

NO HOLES
brackets are the preferred method
fastening with the grain/lamination is ill advised
are screw columns rated/allowed in the OP area

NO HOLES
brackets are the preferred method
fastening with the grain/lamination is ill advised as seen in the OP
are those screw columns rated/allowed in the OP area

installer should be put out of his misery, wasted effort & materials
i’d be very careful prescribing fastening installation of SCL Structural Composite Lumber
there are approved wrap around column caps and fasteners
is the screw column even approved by the Engineer of record or AHJ?
how was it attached at the floor/footing?
it will be interesting to hear from an Engineer

i’d be very careful prescribing fastening installation of SCL Structural Composite Lumber
there are approved column caps and fasteners
is the screw column rated or even approved by the Engineer of record or AHJ?
if so, how was it attached at the floor/footing?
it will be interesting to hear from an Engineer

nice find and 1st post MH, installer should be put out of his misery, wasted effort & materials

btw, if you’ve got wood and are uncertain how to use it…this may help

Yes Barry I agree and observation only should be made by Mike. Great info to help him out. I was quick posting before going to bed.
Just in case you need more info.
http://www.dickslumber.com/lumber_wood/documents/Microllam.pdf

Mock 0007 058.jpg

Thanks guys. This home warrenty is expiring soon. I am going back for more pictures as there are more things bothering me about this beam. Like why does it not continue to the foundation walls.
Thanks for the links. Always ready to learn more.

MH

I’ve seen shorties before that were installed to stiffen a floor for large format travertine floor tile jobs. Check above to see if there are stone tiles.

Good point Darren!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gSyW1C3WL.SL500_AA300.jpg

You could not recommend this for this one Marcel. Take a look at the picture closely.
But yes you are right that is what they should have done.

I have, and they have the wrong type of column support and column to beam cap.
It is obvious that they did not drill for the anchors and now has weakened this beam support.

There is another cap that I was looking for made for a column such as this, but could not find it, actually I found it, but could not post it. It is a saddle for the beam and a column underneath it using SDS screws to hold it in place. Meant for this type of installation. :slight_smile:

I agree about the saddle design! I do not agree that they used the wrong column and I would not call this out unless I seen the planned structure design drawings. This does not appear to be a main support as was pointed out by Darren.

:roll:Um, you cannot just swap out a saddle for another one. The plate that comes with the post must be used or be engineered to be specific tollerances. The post is called an “iron Man” the square tube style is rated for 32,000 pounds and is used where there is a signifigant load. The beam appears to be supporting the stairwell opening. Is there a wall above?? Is there roof trusses or rafters? This all makes a big differance in how the home is structured. I agree that the bolts should not have been installed without predrilling but I would suggest that the timberstrand beam is not going to fail because of it. JMO

I don’t think I did say this Greg. I was referring to what Marcel is pointing out.
I don’t know what support is above but you are right. It is probably a Support wall. I just find it odd that it is beside two 2x8 and against the sub floor.
No ryme or reason IMO.