Glitch Bill is in! 3 ways to get a Florida Home Inspectors License.

Please explain in layman’s terms what is going on.

Maybe Jay should explain as he was the one most involved. Basically, a certain for-profit association based out of Minneapolis shook hands with us and pre-agreed to lobby in opposition of inspectors being able to offer repair services for overly obvious reasons. No sooner was the gentlemen’s agreement made… the fake association broke the agreement, went around our backs and, initially at least, succeeded in installing language that would permit the unethical behavior. Jay had the guts to publicly chastise the mini-Minneapolis association for what they did at one of the FL Stakeholder meetings. Ultimately, we were able to correct the legislation. I took 6 trips to FL but can’t take credit for it. Many others including Jay and Steve worked to defeat the mini-Minneapolis association’s attempt to hand over our independence to the GCs, who were planning, with the help of the mini association, to use our profession as one big repair work lead generator. All is well now.

You are speaking to one of the GC’s.

Yes I am a G.C. and proud of it, I myself have no intention on trying to get work out of my home inspections. I cannot see myself working 4 to 6 hours to try to get a lousy repair job. I prefer new construction. But like many have said before me. If a termite inspector finds termites can he kill them? If a mold inspector finds mold can he fix it? If a car mechanic finds a problem can he repair it? I am against the state telling me what I can do regarding anything and I also thinks it is going to suck if I have to get a separate license from the State to do inspections and then another if I want to do mold inspections. That means I will have to pay for 3 licenses every time and have to meet three separate continuing education requirements and pay for them also. So does anyone know what the final rule is going to be yet because I would like to know what rules I MUST play by.

Mr. Meeker, Why would you think that you should be exempt from having to obtain a license as a home inspector?

Because I have a vast amount of knowledge about homes due to years of hands on experience as a Florida Licensed General Contractor. I do not want to have to do all of the continuing ed for both trades and then more if I want to do mold. It is just another way for the state to milk me dry. I obiously have no problems being part of a orginazation of my own choice “InterNACHI” to let my customers know that I take inspectiong homes seriously. I want the State involved with my life as little as possible. I do not need or want the states stamp of approval and I sure do not want them telling me I cannot do something I am qualified to do. My personal opinion is I whish that the state would not even license home inspectors so I could continue to show I am a General Contractor that has gone the xtra mile and joined InterNACHI to better myself and give great inspections. For the record I just want to know what the final ruling is going to be. I have learned a long time ago my personal opinions will not likely change anything and I did not post looking for a fight.

Just curious. How many years?

I got into contracting in the late 80’s starting as a speciality contractor and moving to become a General Contractor. I have been in the construction industry my whole life and I am now 40. My summer and after school jobs were always in construction. Like I said I am not hear to change anything I am just curious what the final ruling is going to be. I believe there are a whole lot of contractors that are InterNACHI members and have been made to feel like that is something to be ashamed of. In my opinion the more experiences you have the more rounded you become. Acquiring a Florida General Contractors License is by no means an easy task and getting one is much like attaining a degree from a college it takes years and years of hard work and experience in many different aspects of construction just to qualify to take the test plus you must prove you have the financial ability to perform the work. I do not believe the state is going to require anything even close to that for Home Inspectors and I personally wish they would butt out and stay out of my business. There are always those who like to follow the pack and be told what they can and cannot do. I personally want to do my own thing and do not want to jump thru hoops and such just so the State can make more money by regulating businesses.

I will use the “reasonable man” approach here. I imagine there are thousands of very good GCs in FL who could do a very good job of home inspections and have years of experience behind them. However, there are most likely just as many GCs who do not have all the vast years of experience and trying to break into the field of doing contractors work as well as home inspections. For the very same reasons the State of FL is demanding all Home inspectors demonstrate competence in the appropriate construction disciplines, the GCs should have to as well. It is not enough. For years, the Home inspector trade IN FLORIDA was classified as NOT a construction trade. Many of the same skill sets are used but then there are other trades outside construction that will use the sets. I am a licensed Public Adjuster (soon to expire) and it uses most of the same skill sets, I still have to get a separate license, separate CEUs, separate insurance, etc.
I have a good number of friends who are GCs and they generally came from only one trade and some have never been in a construction trade but went to college and took business / management course degrees. They hire subs for everything. They took courses on how to pass the test or got into the business when it first got licensed and slid under the fence. To suddenly wave a wand over these guys and deem them capable of doing home inspections without any knowledge of their real capabilities defeats the entire intended purpose of the HI license.
I happen to agree with those who want less Govt intrusion but that boat has already sailed, long time ago. I don’t think the State is going to make a lot of money off HI licensing. More likely to lose money.

I can assure you, the state will not loose money. They will just increase the fees on the backs of home inspectors. Mr. Meeker, I don’t mean to pick on you, but it is entertaining for me. The public records indicate that you have only been a licensed GC since 11-2006. That is about 3 years and 4 months. During that time, any idea how many comprehensive home inspections you have done- not including wind mits? Just curious. I do agree with you that that state is intruding into all aspects of our lives and I was against licensing from the state for that reason as well as many other reasons. Some history for you- your contractors lobby and associations pushed for years to have those “d@%b” home inspectors licensed. It appears now that the chickens have come home to roost.

Yes I have been a General Contractor for that amount of time. I was a speciality contractor from about 89 if I remember right so I have been contracting work legally for around 20 some years. I have probably done 20 or more inspections since I have become a General Contractor and many more before that. I have been in construction business my whole life and been personally involved in the new construction of thousands of homes durring that time. I believe I have the unique experience of having been in business with most of the larger home builders in South Florida and have seen many things that have become issues with homeowners and builders alike. My experience with building has also given me much insite into what causes many of the issues I find. As I have said before I just want to know what the final rules will be and did not post here looking for a fight. If you or anyone else have any further questions about me or my experience feel free to send me an email. Does anyone know what the final rule is or is it still undecided?

Thank you Nick for your comments. There have been MANY who have been a part of the process that need to be thanked.

Fees cannot be raised without legislation. The DBPR cannot increase a fee.

The current status of the financial impact to the Florida taxpayer is in excess of 1 million dollars. The original bill fell into a deficit from the very beginning. The electeds I have spoken to understand that the premise of 3,000 home inspectors and mold inspectors is unrealistic in today’s economic times. If there were 3,000, the State would still lose in excess of $500K a year on this bill.

Raising fees any higher would have a negative impact on those seeking licensure.

This is the catch-22 and always has been.

Jay,
How you doing? Long time. You are exactly right! And all of this was pointed out to those who had a hand in making this law, numerous times over the years. In years past and under a different Governor and his staff this was one of the determining factor in it being either defeated before it got to the point of being made law or was vetoed upon arrival. This has all the earmarks of a political payoff to the determent of the FL citizens / taxpayers.

Doug:

Been here the whole time. Doing great. And you?

Very same, can’t complain. Busy but not real busy.

I apologize if I offended any GCs. I wasn’t trying to. I’m a licensed GC myself. I was only trying to point out that many of us worked furiously to prevent our entire inspection profession from becoming nothing more than one big fat lead generation system for repair contractors.

Nick,
No offense taken here. I appreciate what you do for the home inspection industry even though I do not always agree with everything. I do think more G.C.'s should stand up and be counted and not feel ashamed of all the hard work it took to get their licenses. I think some of the inspectors who complain the most about G.C’s should try to succeed by doing a great job and improving themselves instead of badmouthing and trying to hold others back. Here is a tip for those who think G.C.'s will have an unfair advantage. Go get a G.C. License yourself. When will all of this speculation end and when will we know what all of the rules will be?

Hi Michael,

Nothing against you or any of the other GC’s. It the system that has me upset not really any individual.

Greg,
No sweat the system has upset me most of my life.

As a FL licensed Residential Contractor(Not General or Building contractor), Accredited Claims Adjuster and home inspector. I think home inspector licensing will help(some).

I see many contractors do things wrong as well as home inspectors, as do the rest of you. In Florida, to do home inspections it is as simple as a flash light and ladder and you are ready to go. These people are the group that give inspectors a bad name. On the other side we have people that call themselves “contractors,” Contractor in the state means anyone who does work for money. A contractor could be a drywall contractor or a paint contractor. All of these people that miss represent themselves need to be put out of business. Licensing will only help that and is not a total solution.

If anyone thinks being a contractor (GC, BC or RC) qualifies them to be a home inspector they are sadly mistaken. As a home inspector is not qualified to be a builder. They are in they same field but very different skill sets.

If you are a home inspector and want the credibility or lack of the comes with being a contractor, then look at the requirements and figure out how to full fill them. If you have all of the credentials( including $10k in the bank and good credit) it will take you about a year.