Going beyond the SOP

True, at the time I thought it wise to remove it for demonstration purposes, and to see if there was water damage already.

Beyond the SoP…

http://texas-inspection.com/infrared/Insul%20&%20Wet%20Wall.jpg

Missing insulation and roof leak draining down wall chase (not visible to the eyes) in new home.

John do you have a picture of the physical leak point.
My question is how will this info help otherwise.?

When I speak to clients about the SOP. (I give them a copy as well) I emphasize it defines what I will do as a minimum. That depending on the situaton in the home it is possible and likely that I will exceed the specifics of the SOP. But that exceeding the SOP for the visual portion of the inspection is not guaranteed in any particular detail. I tell them to read the SOP and if there’s anything in the limitations or not required area they want to be sure it looked at to let me know so i can see if something effective is possible and what it will cost.

It is similar to finding termite infestation inside the building, but not needing to find the termite nest in the ground. You often do not need to search backwards to the source. I look primarily for evidence of a problem (in addition the source of the problem). No?

I agree 100% with Jim. And a court will want to see your process to. Nothing wrong with exceeding however you better have met your process before you go any further.

Did you do this to every window? If you didn’t…and you miss some wood rot…how do you explain how you “exceeded the SOP” with only one window, and not the other 24?

We find tons of moisture issues that have been confirmed
with a high quality moisture meter and IR camera.

Many time the moisture cannot be seen unless the destructive
evaluations are done. This may also lead to even more suprises.

Why does this help?

Because it helps everyone concerned to find defects with
non-destructive methods, that would otherwise go undetected.
This is why people hire us.

Many an inspector has dreaded the day I came behind him
with my IR camera.

Why would a fellow Home Inspector dread the day you follow him.
I often recommend a a thermal scan if it is needed.
Perhaps I should reconsider?

It is not my intentions, but sometime veterans have been
exposed by my thermal imaging camera as to how limited
their eyes are.

Even though they said all the way up to the inspection
that I would not find anymore than what they had
already found.

They had to eat crow and explain to their client why IR
is superior to their level of inspection, even though they had
said otherwise a few days earlier.

beyond-SOP-infrared-picture-ben-gromicko.jpg
Client was told by Seller that the room was always the hottest room in the summer time, coldest room in the winter time, but the HVAC tech said the system is working fine.

beyond-SOP-infrared-picture-ben-gromicko.jpg

beyond-SOP-chimney-picture-ben-gromicko.jpg
The inspector is not required to walk on any pitched roof surface. 500’ up, 6/12.

And your point is what, Ben?

That you place a value on your life and limb at around $350 ?

Because your illustration is EXACTLY why many inspectors have succeeded in DIMINISHING our value as professionals. If WE dont value OURSELVES, how is anyone supposed to believe we are worth more than a pawltry 1/10th of 1% of a real estate transaction. We carry the most liability, yet get paid the least…

A 6/12 pitch, at 50’ in the height. Lovely. Is this supposed to be some badge of courage? Risking your life, and the future wellbeing of your family, for the cost of an inspection is foolish at best.

BTW… the next time you claim to be 50’ up, be sure to choose a photo where the sidewalk doesnt show. 50’ ? I dont think so…

As to the notion of having someone follow my inspection with infrared, I welcome it. Sure you may see more than I see, but the client did not bargain for an infrared scan. And, the camera is only as good as the operator.

I am one of those inspectors who go beyond the SOP, as demonstrated by recent poll. The inspector is not required to walk upon sloped roofs.
I do not recommend doing what I do and how I do it.

IMG_0293.JPG
Going beyond SOP again. Inspector is not required to remove the dead front. I do not recommend doing what I do and how I do it.
:slight_smile:

I don’t believe that there is anything in any SOP that says that the SOP can not be exceeded. How far it is exceeded varies from inspector to inspector. The use of anything beyon a screw or nut driver to remove a panel exceeds the SOP. Is a flashlight (a tool) beyond the standard? A “visual inspection” does not state that you need to augment the light. I would not want to inspect without one and tell my client the SOP did not require it. In my area, you need other tools & meters to be competitive and more importantly to serve your client.

flashlight-inspector-outlet.jpg
I agree. The use of a flashlight is going beyond the SOP. Good point.

flashlight-inspector-outlet.jpg

If an IR scan reveals hidden moisture in the ceiling that came
from a tiny gap in the roof flashing, did the client want that
gap to be reported (this is a visible item, but difficult to find
defect).?

It is much easier to find moisture with an IR camera, than the
tiny gaps in the roof that are indeed visible, but very difficult
to ever find.

This is just one example.

Worth thinking about.

How do you come up with this crap? :frowning:

What!
You do not have access to that remote controlled helicopter or did you use a real one to lower yourself from?

Lets see a pic of that ladder placement:)

That’s funny, because I do take pictures of my ladder (and my feet). Proof for my clients that I go where other inspectors do not. I put these ladder pictures in my reports - for marketing purposes - because I know that realtors and other potential clients read reports to make hiring decisions.

beyond-SOP-ladder-picture-ben-gromicko.jpg beyond-SOP-ladder-picture-2-ben-gromicko.jpg beyond-SOP-walking-on-roof-ben-gromicko.jpg