Good FYI article about your SOP

I didn’t leave the house without a signed agreement and usually payment, too.

And, I let my potential client know tha,t well in advance, via email or the way in writing

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s a tough one… my state (Oregon) says contract completed prior to the completion of the inspection. They then go on to define “completion” as when the report is delivered. I know you guys in Illinois have it rough. I remember going to a conference in Vegas 15+ years ago and everyone from Illinois had to stay after and take a written test… and jump through hoops, and juggle, etc, etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here.
When scheduling the inspection, I go over everything carefully as to what is coming their way via email.
The inspection agreement, which must be signed in advance of the inspection. Then the SOP and an invoice.

If my client is someone that can’t manage to sign online, I’m ready when they arrive at the inspection with a hard copy.

1 Like

I do the same, but with a step further…
I request that they reply to the email that 1) They actually received the email with the two attached documents (Agreement and Invoice), and 2) That they have read the documents, and AGREE to the Terms & Conditions. IMO, it’s just another layer of protection… ‘just in case’.

It’s just so hard to get a buyer’s attention during the process. And to a large extent I get it. I’m actually in the process of buying a rental and some days an hour doesn’t go by that I don’t get an email about the loan or something to do with the process. It’s easy for something to slip by and be forgotten.

Most of us only go through this process a few times but whenever I do it always gives me a unique perspective that I don’t get every day I’m working (especially the part about some picky a-hole HI going through my house!!! :slight_smile: )

I use Spectora as well with pretty good results. The only times I really see an agreement not get signed is when the client is either too busy or they’re not wanting to buy the house. Had that happen just recently, client put it off and put it off then the day before I get a note from the agent that they walked. Love Spectora because it shows me WHEN they opened the email (that they “didn’t get”). If I don’t get the agreement signed I contact the agent to assist letting them know that from an insurance risk standpoint we cannot go on any property without a signed agreement in case of injury or damage. That generally does the trick.

2 Likes

Never had a single problem with the interNACHI PIA. Not sure why others having issues with their built in software agreements don’t use it. :thinking:

1 Like

Great idea on the extra step.

Here I post this earlier and as I jump in my truck this morning, realize the client didn’t sign.
I called and texted only to find the agreement was in his spam folder. He signed and no problem.

All the more reason to request an email acknowledgement, during the first conversation.

3 Likes

Was this a shot at me? (LOL)

1 Like

I my professional opinion, this is a serious problem Daniel. Not having the client sign the agreement BEFORE the actual inspection in affect prevents them from choosing someone else if they disagree with your terms. EVERY insurance company I have ever worked with requires the agreement be signed BEFORE the inspection.

We do not even show up if the agreement is not signed FIRST. We also withhold the report until payment is rendered.

1 Like

Horizon Home Inspection System (Carson Dunlop) is awesome. Been using it for 10 years.