Grandfathering long over in Maryland.

[FONT=Arial]Who is eligible for the Grandfather Clause Home Inspector License Program?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]In 2002, you were afforded the opportunity to file an application with the Commission under a “grandfathering” provision of the law, Business Occupations and Professions Article, Annotated Code of Maryland, §16-3A-02. This section provides that an individual may be eligible for a home inspector license if he or she filed a license application prior to July 1, 2002 and met certain education, work experience, and/or professional association membership requirements.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Members,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The above information is from the State of Maryland web site and should be a one of the guides to your decision when pursuing licensing as a home inspector in Maryland.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]There have been many questions from the roughly 140 members that we email information to from the Chesapeake Chapter. Since you are a NACHI members and / or members of the Chesapeake Chapter, we have done our best to answer questions and help set the record straight about what it takes to be licensed. Many of the questions that I am receiving concern Grandfathering of Home Inspectors. The truth of the matter is that very few of us had filed or had qualified to file by the July 1, 2002 date. (See the statement above which is from the State web site) [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Licensing for most of us means having worked in the field, been paid for Home Inspections, and have attended a school that is State certified. It appears that many of the schools are not fully accredited and a 16-hour supplemental course must be taken. It is different for every school so contact the State with your questions about whether your school was certified. I do not have a list.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]The reason that we arranged for a supplemental course with HITA at a discounted price was due to the “need” of our membership. If you need additional educational credits, I would suggest that you contact HITA or another school that is certified by the State to provide the supplemental education, before their classes fill up! My suggestion to you is make sure the school you go to for the supplemental 16-hour class is certified by the State of Maryland. If you do not you will be wasting your time and money. HITA is certified by the State which is one of the many reasons we worked with them to provide this opportunity to our Chapter membership. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]There is a demand from our membership to get some questions answered about licensing and we are trying to do that. Please visit the State site for additional Q&A’s to guide you through this process. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]
We do not have all the answers about licensing (who does?) and you might be best contacting the State Executive Director yourself. Mr. Elwood Mosley (410-230-6379)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Do not wait![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Jim Minichiello[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Chesapeake[/FONT][FONT=Arial] Chapter of NACHI[/FONT]

Hey Nick,

Is this misinformation when it says MD inspectors must be either an ASHI or NAHI member?
http://localism.com/article/130956/THE-MARYLAND-COMMISSION-FOR-REAL-ESTATE

Yes, it is incorrect. There is no association membership requirement any longer.

The article has been edited…

Good job: http://localism.com/article/130956/THE-MARYLAND-COMMISSION-FOR-REAL-ESTATE

And why exactly do some members on this board think state licensing of the home inspection industry is a good thing?

As a licensed B1 General Contractor here in California, I certainly hope the state “Never” gets involved with the licensing of home inspectors. There’s already enough crooked contractors running around out here…